1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoring my Dimension C521 Windows XP Media Center 2002

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by alchemis, Dec 12, 2011.

1. alchemis

alchemis Member

Hi i have an old pc which is a Dell Dimension C521 which has Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 OS. now i upgrade the graphic card and ram inside my system. but i need to do a full system restore. i cant access the Restore files due to the help of a very Annoying Virus. I looked online and found a recovery disk for the OS. but its for the 2005 edition not the 2002. before i try to go further with fixing my pc i was wondering. would trying to use the recovery disk for 2005 mess up my pc since it was made with 2002. i dont think it would. seems like it would be more like an upgrade. but i would like to double check and make sure before i start doing anything. please write me back asap. Thank You

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum due to poster's blindness as not a linux issue.

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

This old box is the perfect candidate for linux... xp is completely obsolete and the old girl doesn't have enough bang for the buck already spent (no point upgrading anything over 2 years old IMHO unless it's from salvage freebie bits and bobs.. never spend money, they ain't worth it).. won't run fista and as for glutton 7?.. waste of time as well..

If you MUST use winsleep then you can get a nice clean xp from the *cough usual places cough* and do a totally clean install.. a recovered thing after being screwed in the way described by malware will just reinfect itself as soon as it can and will never run any good!!

Try Sabayon i86.. impress your friends with something amazing!! http://www.sabayon.org/ (it isn't a 64 so you will need to look for the one they call i86 - thats the 32 bit version)