1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

retarded computer

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by wabashman, Apr 3, 2007.

1. wabashman

wabashman Active member

sorry if this is a double post, i dont think the previoue one went through at all. anyways:

my computers drives (pioneer 111d, and samsung shd-162c) were working fine earlier, now they wont recognize anything. device manager has the little exlamation point saying somethings wrong. it claims that the configuration information is missing or wrong. edit--heres what it actually says 'windows cannot start thsi hardware device becuase its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (code 19).' ive tried to reinstal the driver (1.29) for the 111d, but when it goes to instal it, it says it cand find the device or something like that. ive done a system restore to this morning thinking that owuld help but it didnt. have also unplugged the drives and plugged them back in. so im all out of thoughts. oh yea, im running vista ultimate if that makes any difference.
    thanks in advance and sorry if this is a double post again.

edit again-- found this link

but i dont know how to find the devices i need to find, there are a lot of darn options.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  2. Sandwich1

Sandwich1 Guest

Do a system restore.

3. JVC

JVC Active member

Try this:
    Go into your Device Manager, and find your drive. Right click on it, and choose "Uninstall". After it uninstalls, reboot, and let Windows detect new hardware, and install new a driver for you.
    Good luck!

Sometimes this works for your problem, and sometimes it doesn't. It won't hurt to try it......... :eek:)

4. wabashman

wabashman Active member

ive done a system restore several times, and ill try the uninstal reinstal here as soon as i get out of class.
    thanks

edit--

tried to uninstal and reboot with vista, when it found the devices it failed to instal either of them. so im going to boot into xp and see if i can do it that way. maybe, just maybe this will work. but i doubt it with the way my week as been going thus far. will report back in a bit.

edit #2
    well it appears to be a problem with vista. and i can say that this is my first time having problems with it. becuase in xp, they are both recognized and work perfectly fine. so if i copied the dvd drives folders over to the vista drive, do you think that this would solve the problem?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Are you using a final version of Vista or a pre-release/beta?

You might aswell give it a try but the drivers may be different from XP to vista, so that may not work..

6. wabashman

wabashman Active member

ok, im about ready to throw the computer out the darn window, i switched my boot prefernce to xp so i could get into it easier, and now i cant switch it back to freaking vista. ugh...

but im using a final version of vista

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ah, ok - d/w then.

As for it not booting back into Vista, I'm not much help on that, as I don't dual boot very often and it's hardly an expertise of mine >.<

Sorry.

8. wabashman

wabashman Active member

well thanks for the help. it boots to the page where you can choose xp or vista, but the stupid dumb keyboard doesnt allow me to move the highlight to vista for some unknown reason. ive tried it with two keyboards. and with xp i dont even have the option of making vista my defualt OS. stupid microsuck programs.

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

That's strange..

Does it not detect the keyboard at all or is it just not letting you navigate to choose an OS to boot to?

10. wabashman

wabashman Active member

well it the computer allows the keyboard to enter into the bios, and all that, but just wont move the cursor when im in the boot page, or the point to select which OS i want. i dont have a problem moving around in the bios menus.

11. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Have you tried using Tab or Alt to select the OS?

12. wabashman

wabashman Active member

no but i will try that here in a few minutes. attempting to see if i can figure anything out when i use them in an external hd case with my laptop. figured its worth a shot.

13. wabashman

wabashman Active member

yea, that didnt work. and i just called microsoft tech support, and they basically said f you since i dont have the stupid isntal disc with me. what a great company.