1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

retrofit to read a 5.25 floppy disk

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sifu17055, Mar 29, 2007.

1. sifu17055

sifu17055 Guest

Help! I have information locked up on an old 5.25 floppy disk. I have a 5.25 floppy drive pulled from an antiquated pc. How would I get it to work with a new pc?

Chris

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Many new PCs don't even have a floppy port on the motherboard. If you can find one that does, physically all you have to do is connect the drive with a floppy cable and power connector. If the PC already has a floppy, there may be a connector on the cable for a second drive. But will the BIOS support a 5.25" drive?

see here

http://www.oldskool.org/guides/oldonnew/floppy

Some companies will copy the data to other media for a fee.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  3. sifu17055

sifu17055 Guest

I have an old windows 98 pc with a 3 1/2 inch drive. Can I use this pc and just swap the drives?

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Yes. You may need to go into the BIOS to alter the floppy settings. That link I posted leads to a page with full details.

If you don't have a spare 5.25" bay you can just have the drive lying on the top of the case or on the desk. Just make sure it doesn't short anything out.

5. sifu17055

sifu17055 Guest

You are an absolute lifesaver. A friend entrusted me with an old set of disks that I couldn't read. I have been looking for way to get the job done for months. I had no idea where to turn. I have an old pc and a 5.25 pulled from another pc that I recently junked. It does work, it just needed something to be plugged into.

Thank you my friend! I will try this when I get home and fill you in tomorrow with the details!

Chris

6. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Good luck! Remember to treat the disks quite carefully, don't write on them with ball point pen or leave them near a magnet eg a louspeaker...

7. sifu17055

sifu17055 Guest

Oooohhhh. that would be bad wouldn't it? I will be very careful with the disks to be sure. I want to keep my friend as a friend.

Chris

8. sifu17055

sifu17055 Guest

Maybe once this is done, I could offer this as a service for people like myself and my friend? I would like to help others.

Chris