1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reusing finalized DVD-RW's

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by bbarrett, Jan 11, 2004.

1. bbarrett

bbarrett Member

I read on another forum site that when you finalize a DVD-RW you can't erase it and write another movie on it and then have it work in a standalone player. It said that only +RW can be finalized, then erased and written on again and still work. My computer DVD-rom can still read the -RW, but now my standalone can't. Anyone have any evidence to confirm that this is indeed true or simply b.s. Just trying to wade through all the info. and somehow figure things out. Thanks.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi bbarrett, I have never heard that story about -RW discs. To my knowledge, RW is re-writable. If finalized, you should still be able to erase it or re-format it with your burning program. Some programs allow a quick erase which doesn't remove the old burn until you burn over it. A complete erase or format should clean it completely. I don't think it matters if its + or -. Maybe someone else has more info on this that I haven't heard.
    Jerry

3. bbarrett

bbarrett Member

Hey Jerry746, thanks for the reply. I had never heard anything about -RW's not being writable again if you had finalized them either. That's why it seemed strange to me. The main reason why I'm interested in this is b/c I have 2X Ritek DVD-RW's and the first time I burn a movie on them they will play fine in both my computer DVD-Rom (Emprex 4X +/-RW) and 2 different standalone DVD players (KLH KD-1220 & Panasonic RV-22). Next I'll use Roxio Easy DVD creator 6 to erase. Then even if I try to write the same movie again (encryptor shows it is a blank disc too), it won't work in the KLH and is really pixelated in the RV-22. However, it still boots right up with powerDVD and plays fine in my computer. I'm using Shrink then ImgTool then decryptor. I've done a lot of reading to try to figure this out and keep hitting a wall. Any ideas would be great!!! Thanks

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

See if any of your burning programs has a FULL FORMAT option. That should do a total erase. Quick erase doesn't really blank out the disc.
    Jerry

5. bbarrett

bbarrett Member

Roxio seems to only give me the quick erase option with my -RW's. The full erase is disabled. Why I don't know. I've tried searching around in DVD Encrypter for a way to erase a disc, but I haven't found it. I'm pondering buying Nero or at least trying it out by trial. I just don't have much jack. I've heard both good and bad about Nero, and it seems like this stuff can be done just as well using encryptor so I'd like to get that to work if I can. It's kind of become personal now. I may just have to give up and buy it. Is nero express the way to go? I don't know anything about the program and I'm sure they have some sort of platinum version or something that you have to donate a kidney to get and is over kill. Thanks for taking the time to help me try to figure this out. Hopefully one day I'll be able to recipricate.

Brian

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Nero Express is part of Nero 6 Ultra. There is a trial download to see if you like it. Can't remember if its 15 or 30 days. Try right clicking on your dvd drive in control panel and see if it shows Format option there. I started out with Roxio 6 platinum a while back. After I got use to Nero I uninstalled it and never looked back.
    We all like to help, thats what the forum is for.
    Jerry

7. bbarrett

bbarrett Member

Hey Jerry,
    Roxio and windows both say that the -RW is corrupt after I have erased it using Roxio and by right cliking the burner icon under my comput then erasing (this seems to also be Roxio driven). I tried what you said and formatted by right clicking. The quick formatting didn't seem to do much so I did the full format. It made the dvd be recognized as not blank and called Roxio 2. I don't know too much about formatting, obviously, but that then makes it so neither roxio or encrypter will burn to it. When I tried to erase it again, makes my computer pseudofreeze and nothing happens as far as the erasing is concerned. I think the disk is no good anymore. I don't understand. I thought the point of RW's was so that you can write, then erase, then they are good as new. They seem like an integral part of the dvd burning process, b/c no one likes to make coasters. You got any ideas what is going on? I'm clueless.
    brian

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I started out with Roxio 6 Platinum. After being on this forum for a while, I got Nero and found it to be so much better. I uninstalled Roxio and it now sits on a shelf collecting dust. In Nero Express, it gives you the choice to quick format or full format. Full takes about 1/2 hr.
    When using my RW disc for dvd copies. I just insert it when asked for a blank disc. Nero then asks if I want to overwrite the disc and I click YES. I never have to erase it or re-format it for this type of use. Most members on here say to ditch Roxio.
    Jerry

9. bbarrett

bbarrett Member

Hello Jerry. I'm back to bug ya again. Since I got the trial version of Nero, I've been having better luck with backing things up. I'm still having a real problem with getting either princo 1X or Ritek G04's (both -R's)to play on my Panasonic RV-22. It is also very sketchy with Ritek 2X -RW's; it won't play those w/o pixelation either. Just last night I had a Ritek -RW (shrunk then burned w/ Nero) work pretty well on my KLH KD-1220, but come up with a non-compatible message in the Panasonic. This is the first time this message has come up in that maching using this same disc. Weird. I'm thinking about getting a DVD-R and/or a DVD+R sampler to see if some other brand will work in the Panasonic. Do you think that +R's would be worth a try or should I stick with the -R's? Some of those brands in the samplers sound kinda scary (supermediastore and meritline).
    On a different note, so far I've liked nero and I'm thinking about buying it. Do you know if the oem versions of the software typically include the burning rom format of the program? Everywhere I've looked they only seem to list nero express under the product descriptions. Those versions are much cheaper, but I don't want one if you can only use express. Definitely gotta have options. Sorry this is long, but speaking of options I've tried twice to copy on Ritek GO4 -R at 2X using Nero. Both times failed very quickly into the burn producing a coaster. I have an Emprex 4X burner, but wanted to burn slower to see if that would make a difference in the Panasonic. Nero only gives me 2X and 4X options, why not 1X and 3X too? Also, do you know if there is a place where I can find out what settings Shrink uses for Nero when you enable the burn with Nero option? Or does it use the same settings that you set up in Nero the last time you used it? Once again thanks for all your advice. Have a good weekend.

Brian

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Brian, I did a little research on all 3 of the equipment you listed. All 3 are dual format so there shouldn't be any media compatability problems. I have read that Princo isn't the best choice in media and causes problems sometimes. However your choice of Ritek is a good one. I read some of the comments from people that own your burner and the comments were mostly very good. There seems to be a firmware update needed for it. I think the last version I saw them list was 48. So check your firmware version and update if necessary.
    Nero OEM has more that just Express but not everything that Ultra has. If theres not much difference in price, I would go for Ultra. You should be able to research the versions and prices at www.nero.com.
    As far as the Shrink setting for Nero, I'm not sure about that. I assume it uses whatever is set for Nero. Nero picks burn speed from the blank media. 2 good sites to research this stuff---www.dvdrhelp.com for the player, burner, and media compatability. And--- www.dvdshrink.info for help with the new shrink. Keep trying, your getting closer.
    Jerry

Last edited: Jan 17, 2004