1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: Burning RitekG04 at 8xspeed

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by agent-k, Oct 7, 2004.

1. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

The dvd used for this test is a datawrite yellow Ritek G04 4Xspeed dvd-r.
    The drive used was my Pioneer 107 with hacked firmware version 1.13

[​IMG]

As you can see, the top of the dvd is a bright yellow with the Datawrite logo on it.
    Maybe it's just me but I think this is a fabulous looking disc but obviously not everyone is going to like the look of it.
    The burning side is classic Ritek deep purple.
    I gave it a very close examination under my halogen desk lamp and there were no marks or blemishes whatsoever. Neither is there any sign of dye leakage at the outer edge of the disc.
    All in all a very nicely made dvd-r.
    I ran it through Nero CD/DVD Speed to test the data transfer speed. The results are shown below.

[​IMG]

The top line is the data transfer speed. As you can see it starts of at 6xspeed and then increases to 8xspeed with a nice steady transfer rate right up to the end of the disc.

[bold]Don't forget that these are 4xspeed dvd-r's[/bold]

The bottom line is the rotation speed of the disc itself. As you can see it is a nice smooth curve from start to finish.
    I have burned hundreds of movies on these 4xspeed discs at 8xspeed and can honestly say that I have never had any coasters. I've never been able to say that with any other disc.
    The compatability is excellent, they play in my standalone dvd players and my Playstation 2 with no problems at all.

All my movie backups are done with either Dvd Shrink, Nero Recode 2 or RB/CCE, depending on the size of the film and the mood I'm in.
    They are all burned to disc with Nero Express.
    I'm sure there are other dvd-r's out there that are as good as this or even better perhaps, but for the price, quality and compatability they are hard to beat.
    I'm waiting for some 8xspeed Bulkpaq's to turn up in the post for testing.
    I've never liked Bulkpaq discs as I've always found them to be complete rubbish, but as I'm getting them for free directly from Bulkpaq for testing I thought I'd give them a go.

Do you think I've got too much time on my hands?

2. john179

john179 Active member

Excellent choice of media there Agent-k

3. wmiao

wmiao Member

Hi agent-k, your post is so great and it really helps.

I have a question about this DVD-R disk. I notice it have G04 and G05, what is the difference? And some guys here just complained then got the G05 when they ordered G04, so it means G04 is some better than G05?

Thank you for your time and help.

4. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Thanks wmiao,
    The G04 disc is the Ritek 4x speed disc.
    The G05 disc is meant to be an 8x speed Ritek disc.
    Strangely enough, my local supplier gave me 2 datawrite 8x speed discs to test (which I haven't done yet) and an orange Ritek 4x speed disc.
    I tested for the manufacturers ID of the 4x speed Ritek using Dvd decrypter in 'ISO read' mode and it's showing up as a G05.
    I don't normally use 8x speed discs because as you can see from my original post, the datawrite yellows are cheap to buy and excellent to use and they will burn at 8x speed in my 107 anyway.
    Rumour has it that the G04 is a much better disc than the G05.
    I'll have to try a comparison test, unless someone has already done it.
    If you have please post some results here.

5. john179

john179 Active member

I would tend to agree with you there Agent-k i tend to think the G04 is a better disc at present.But there was a time the G04 did not live up to it's name just like the G05 but look at it now.By the way has any of you tried a pack of these disc's as i got some becuase they were so cheap for they were worth the chance.I don't normally go for the cheapest just what suits my writers but hey for that price they were worth testing.
    [​IMG]
    I paid £4:50 for 25 and they were a heap of junk anyone else had any problems with them.

6. edgex

edgex Member

Agent-K, I just had to say Thanks for an excellent review. And yes you do have too much time on your hands..LOL but It was great! I do wonder about burning at 8X speeds though. While I use the G04, I find that if I burn at 4X speeds, my back ups will not play properly. While it's only a small percentage appox. 5%, I have yet to burn a coaster at slower speeds. My burner is the TDK 880. I have read in the posts repeated times, slower is better. Any thoughts on this? Thanx

7. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I have to agree that in general slower is better.
    I think I'm just one of the lucky one's in that I always burn at 8x speed and seem to get away with it.
    I have a team of local testers. haha, I'm just making that sound good. My neighbours have schoolkids that can't afford to rent dvds so I lend mine to them as long as they tell me what dvd player they are using and if they had any problems.
    They use x boxes, ps2's, cheap old dvd players and all sorts of junk to play them and never seem to have any problems.
    So far so good.

8. edgex

edgex Member

I guess that even the mighty G04 can be less than perfect at times. I just wanted to see if I was missing something during my burning. Thanx again agent-K