1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review of Alienware

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Norstar, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Norstar

Norstar Guest

Thinking of getting a new system from Alienware??
    Yes, they are *the* kick-ass game system makers, but I want to share my most recent experience. I placed an order for a standard piece of hardware on Oct. 17 (today is November 4). After repeated calls I was told that they would call ME to verify my order. When they finally did, a few days ago, they said that I was now in "Phase 2" of my order. Looking at their website, their are FOURTEEN phases to go thru before they even ship! Meanwhile, the cost of what I ordered is dropping at my local Best Buy! Yes, the leading PC mags rate their systems as great (as they probably are) but their shipping is slow-ass!

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Ouch. Whereabouts are you living? Here in Canada, got a Area51-m in less than a month and a bit :)

3. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

OMFG! You can afford an Area51-m??!! Good god. I wish I was you. I can't even afford a piece of bread right now......

Spent all my money on watching movies at the cinema. 4 movies a week r0><0rzzz!

4. Praetor

When you get to the university level... one thing you learn real fast is budgeting and what is worth money and what isnt. While the A51m may be alightly overkill, it will last me quite some time. Of coruse there are those who's parents pay for everything and they dont learn about budgeting/value until much later in life.

5. Matador

Matador Regular member

Im getting another Alienware for my 15 year old bro.Area-51 same specs as mine.But smaller HDD's and no DVD burner.Place a order on 12th and it's the 20th and on phase 9.It's not overkill if you running 3ds max,Premiere,Encore.Thats where those 2GB of Ram come in handly.

6. shivera

shivera Guest

Ok, its offical, I know nothing! What the heck is Area51-m? I'm guessing it is some type of computer.

7. Praetor

I DO do heavy animation and such (Maya, Lightwave, Bryce -- nuff said) and I dont need half the RAM i have.

Sure 2GB is handy byt certasinly not a requirement by any standards. The only time I ever go past 700MB RAM use is when i do some serious file transfer/compression related stuff AND video encoding.

Of course 1GB is nice to have :)

shivera:
    http://www.alienware.com/system_pages/area-51m.aspx_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2003
  8. ModNoob

ModNoob Member

personally i think that alienware is a bit too expensive...try going here: www.ibuypower.com

9. Matador

Matador Regular member

I use ctw,Uharc 0.4,and UHBC to compress files..These apps do a better job then winrar,ace.ect...So the more RAM you have the better....You don't want ur computer freezing up when ur compressing 5GB+ files...I was able to get 300Mbs of a 10Gb HDD image.Using Uharc 0.4..... ^--^

I do all most any thing....From Website creation to programing to video editing..So it doesn't hurt to have that much ram.

10. Praetor

WHOA wrong post :p