1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ridata 4X or 8X??

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by THUNDER66, Dec 15, 2004.

1. THUNDER66

THUNDER66 Member

anyone have a liteon 1633S and use ridata 4x or 8x consistantly without anyproblems?

the reason i ask is that i have 4X now and about 30 successful burns. need to purchase more and dont know if I should order 8X or 4X again.

I would LIKE to get 8x, but have heard so many problems about fast burns.

Thanks

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

The difference for me is not necessarily the speed but the manufacturer. All of my Ritek Ridata branded 4X DVD+Rs have been RICOHJPN which I love. (They made discs for my favorites brands Fuji, TDK, and even Memorex.) The Ritek 8X DVD+Rs are made by Ritek (RITEKG03), which haven't been getting great reviews. I'm not sure about the -Rs. But my 4Xs will burn at 8X with no skipping.

3. tomripley

tomripley Member

The RICOHJPN media is made by Ritek too. They handle all production for Ricoh -- and apparently also gets to borrow their media code as part of the deal.

Of course, it's still perfectly possible that the RICOHJPN discs are better than generic Ritek media, as they may be made on different production lines and with a different type of dye, etc.

4. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

I have always used Ritek 4x dvd+r media for use on my Harmon-Kardon player. I have also used Ritek 4x G04 dvd-r media on four of my other dvd players which won't accept dvd+r. I recently purchases a 100 cakebox of Ritek G05 8x Dvd-r media and to my suprise doesn't work as well on any of my dvd players as the G04. With the G05 media I get glitches in the video and at times the audio is out of sync with the video. I'll stick with the Ritek 4x as long as its available.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

[bold]The RICOHJPN media is made by Ritek too. They handle all production for Ricoh -- and apparently also gets to borrow their media code as part of the deal.[/quote]

That is true Ritek manufactures Ricoh media, but at Ricoh's specs. You could say Riteks tools and Ricohs blueprints.

6. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

@thunder66

Just from my new exp. and from what i've read here.If you burn faster than 2x's you might have quilaty problems with your copy's. Burned about 50 copies had 1 coaster so far, my mistake. I use Ritek x4 G04's
    but always burn at 2x's

these are avalible at www.allmediaoutlet.com for
    50 pack $22.00 ship included or 100 pack $41.00 ship
    included

later

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

It all depends on the media you use and how it performs with your dvdrw. I also have to burn G04's at 2x to get a successful burn, but I burn Ricohjpn R01's at 8x without any problems, playback perfect.

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Here is a list of the media I use that is coded ricohjpnro1:Maxell +4r,verbatim +4r,sony +4r,and teon +8r. All are excellent for my pc,home recorder, and stand alone playabilty,except for the verbs. The 8x teon is the best I found for the home recorder.1 coaster out of about 100.No problems burning from 4-8x.

9. tomt7898

tomt7898 Guest

I have an nec1300a burner and for the most part i've always used +r x disks
    there is no harm in using +r 8x is there??

10. THUNDER66

THUNDER66 Member

ok thanks to all, but now heres the problem. with the memorex (ritek g03) and Shrink, it only give me an option to burn at 3.1, 4, or 8. When I chose 3.1 it actually burns at 4. I CANT BURN AT 2X. i really havent had problems. a few glitches here and there. but i wanted to try 2x.

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey thunder66,sound like those memorex won't let you burn slower than 4x.That may be media,firmware, or another hardware,software issue.A lot of complaints on the ritek go3's, and memorex are rarely recommended here at AD.They may have a few glitches now but when you get closer to the bottom of the spindle,it may get worse.Keep it as slow as you can get it until you run out of them.

Hey tomt7898,You should have no trouble with +8x discs. My first batch of +8x verbatim was on my last burner,a 8x khypermedia and 4x cyberhome stand alone home recorder. They both worked great with the 8x. I had to get rid of the khpermedia because my bedroom stand alone player would not play that particular burn. The new $40.00 benq 1610 I got took care of that issue. It lets me burn those verb +8x at 12x if I don't double check my burn settings after backing up with dvd shrink.Those +8x verbs are coded mcc-003. I lost the label on the spindle so I don't know if they are media life or media life plus.My father and buddy have the nec 1300a and 8x verbs media is not giving them problems when they burn them.It's an excellent quality burner and I play everything they burn perfect. Later

12. THUNDER66

THUNDER66 Member

run out of them???
    i just loaded up with 200!!!LOL
    they were 17.00 for 50 spindle at staples. and no delivery.

i did try ritek and no bad. i paid 34 for 100 but had to add shipping.

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey thunder66, do what i would do, Ebay them suckers,lol

Just keep that rate slow,unless someone else know how to fix it.

I got 90 verbatim media life +4x on ebay for $32.00 with s&h,and they threw in 10 more of phillips and something else i can't remember,I gave them away.They coded as ricohjpn01 on 2 of the 30 spindles and mcc-002 on an identical 30 pack. All 3 spindles nearly identical and 2 different manufacturers.They still aren't as good as the mcc003 +8x's,my stand alones show me that.

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hey THUNDER66,

You may not have any problems with those R03's and your Litey. Still beware of memorex, you never know what you're going to get, you probably lucky to get R03's. If you start having problems with them you can take them back to staples.

I bought a 100 pk branded Ritek Ridata dvd+r's hopeing for Ricohjpn R01's and got R03's instead. So far I have burned them all at 8x with no problems. I'm useing a Litey SOHW-832S.

15. tomt7898

tomt7898 Guest

So has anyone tried the TEON 8X +r's from staples
    no problems here with them
    curious about others input..

thanks

16. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey tom, I picked up the teon +8x at staples the 20 pack spindle about 3 or 4 weeks ago when it was on sale there. They coded at ricohjpn01. My buddy bought the teon -8x 20 spindle and they coded as c-mags.The pc burned them and played great on standalones. Heck my dvd home burner for the tv really liked them.

They had them on sale again last week and my nearest staples was out of the + 8x. Then we had 2 feet of snow dumped on us so I couldn't go any where the next 4 days,sale over. Now they got memorex on sale,I think I will skip that sale,lol

Hey tom,did you pick them teons up last week. I was just wandering if they were still ricohjpno1's? Sometimes they swich manufacturers before you know it. Later

17. tomt7898

tomt7898 Guest

I don't have the link that tells you what manufacture they are but, I haven't had any problems with them..
    I was just curious how others felt about them.
    I think also,that they may again be on sale.
    give them a call n check on it..
    I have 12 spindles of 20's so I'm set for now..
    I'm not sure but, mine may all be from the same lots?
    can't be sure but, so far so good...

18. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

19. tomt7898

tomt7898 Guest

sorry its a corrupted link..

:(

20. saugmon

saugmon Senior member