1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ridata and dvd movies

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by mentro, Apr 18, 2004.

1. mentro

mentro Newbie

ok this is really buggin me i hope someone can give me some good advice. anyways i have an apex 1500 dvd player, a ps2, an lg 4020b dvd writer and a toshiba sd m1712 dvdrom drive. i have a liarliar backup on a ritek ridata g04 dvd-r. i played it on my apex and during the last chapter it started skipping and pausing and wasnt watchable so i took it out and tried it in my computer with my toshiba dvdrom drive, same skipping occured. then i tried it in my ps2 and not a single skip. i then decided to try it in my lg 4020 dvd writer and it played flawlessly. i tried it again in my apex, and toshiba dvdrom and the skipping was there and then i again tried the ps2 and the dvd writer with no skipping. i know people say that cheap media will skip and pause near the outer part of the disk, not that i think ritek are cheap, but could it be something else in my case like for example both my apex and toshiba cant handle the media or could it be a combination of both the media and the players. its just weird how it plays fine on my dvd writer and ps2 of all things but not on my apex and dvdrom drive, anyway i hope someone can help me out...thanks

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hiya,

If you have problems with skipping at the end of the discs, I'd suggest lowering the target file size to somewhere around 4.2GB to keep the data further away from the edge. If that doesn't help, try slowing your burn and see if that helps.

What software are you using to back up your movies?

Do you have the latest firmware for your burner? That may help write performance and compatability.

Some devices can be downright picky about what they'll play - the best thing is to experiment with formats, burn speed, file size etc.

Hope this helps :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  3. mentro

mentro Newbie

thanks for the response Nephilim. i use elby clone dvd and dvd decrypter. my 4020b writer has the original firmware. now if the ps2 and dvd writer can play the dvd-r without skips doesnt that mean that the outer part of the disk is ok and that the laser in the apex dvd player and the toshiba dvdrom drive have a problem reading the disk because its spining faster as it reaches the outer part possibly due to a failing laser. i might just be reaching for straws here but im confused..

4. mentro

mentro Newbie

oh and i forgot one thing, if the dvd-r is of the best quality does that mean that it will play on anything regardless of the shape of the device that is playing it?

5. Nephilim

Hiya,

I'd recommend updating to the newest firmware. The newer firmwares often improve write strategy and media compatability and may very well solve your problem.

Keep in mind that the outer edges of the disc are more prone to manufacturing defects which can lead to iffy burn quality that some devices may handle better than others.

Not necessarily. A high quality disc is a great start, but there are many factors that affect the playability such as the software used, the burner/firmware, recording speed and the device it's being played on.

The closest thing we have to a "universal" discs are those pressed ina factory.

I'm about to fall asleep right now, so if I missed something let me know!

6. mentro

mentro Newbie

thanks for the info. ok so if for example a backup works flawlessly on a ps2 and a dvd writer but skip frequently (and not always at the same spot btw) near the end on a standalone and dvdrom it still usually means that the disk is bad?? or could it be the standalone starting to act up?

7. Nephilim

If the copy works flawlessly in your PS2 and the burner then the disc is good - if it was bad it wouldn't play in anything.

The fact that it works fine in two devices and skips in the other two indicates that it's a compatibility issue with the two devices that skip. Trying a different type media may help [bold]but[/bold].........

Did you update the firmware yet? It can really help :)

Try LG's site or here:

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

8. mentro

mentro Newbie

yes i did upgrade my firmware from a108 to a109 but it still skips :(. i think i'll try to burn the ridata at 1x, they were burned at 2x before, and see if that works. btw there are four other movies that i burned on those ridatas and they're all fine on my apex so im not sure about it being a compatability problem, oh and btw the disk im having problems with was fine on my apex after i originally burned it and about 2 weeks later i watched it again on my apex and it all of a sudden started to skip near the end---weird---anyways thanks

9. Nephilim

That is weird. Where did you get the RiDATAs? Almost sounds like you got a bunch of iffy ones. Good discs shouldn't degrade in two weeks! Let me know how it goes burning at 1X.

Did you try lowering the target file size?

What do the discs ID as with DVD Info Pro?

Here's a link if you don't have it, it's great utility to have anyway:

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2004
  10. mentro

mentro Newbie

well i bought the ridatas at www.blankmedia.ca in Canada and am able to send the bad ones back for some shiny top riteks (not ridata) that come straight from the factory in taiwan. the ridatas that they get come from somwhere in the states. the 1x burn went fine (no skips--weird--and the target size was already 4.2 so it wasnt right to the very outer edge. i have some dvd identifying programs including dvdinfopro and they all say that its ritek g04

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I dont think there is any point sending a RiData disc back to the store for any other Ritek disc as RiData and Traxdata are premium Ritek branded discs - as in the best Ritek dyes available (quality wise). Manufactured solely by Ritek. If you are experiencing problems, ask for a fresh batch of RiData, rather than changing them to a different brand...
    RiData is manufactured in Tawain....