1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIDATA DVD+R Media Burn Problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by rparks3, Oct 3, 2004.

1. rparks3

rparks3 Member

I purchased RIDATA 4X DVD+R media with ID ROCOHJPN-R01-002. I have been having trouble getting this media to work properly with my DELL ND-1100A burner using DVD Shrink and Nero. Others have had very good results per posts I have read. I generally get a message stating a "successful burn" and they play on the computer, but will not work on my Panasonic S-35 standalone DVD player. I have had very good success with other media. My burner has what I think is the latest DELL firmware version 10GE. I have not been able to use any other firmware except the DELL firmware. Any suggestions on settings,etc. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Ron

2. Crusaders

Crusaders Member

Funny you should mention, because I've had a ton of problems with the Ridata 4X DVD+R's, recognized as "RITEK" in Nero. I've noticed that in DVD shrink, I no longer get the option of burning them at 4X. It's either "Max" which is 8X, or 2.4X. When I burn the disk. I find out that the movie will either, freeze up, or not work at all. When I do the burn seperately and select 4X, it's the same thing. Wow, lots of problems, and I bought a whole crap load of the stuff. Very dissapointing, as I have had excellent results with the unbranded 4X Ritek disks.

3. rparks3

rparks3 Member

I was hoping you would know a fix, a block to check, or some other helpful item as I purchased 100 of these DVD's. I will keep on searching. Everyone else says they are the best DVD's around. Ron.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rparks3,
    Sounds like a compatability problem w/ your set top dvd player. Dvd+r media is not as compatable as -r media on some set top players. Another person w/ a panasonic set top player had the same problem a while back. Their backups played ok in other set top dvd players. Try your backups in some other players. I'm not familiar w/ your dvdrw, but if it qualifies, you could set the booktype to dvd-rom on your +r media w/ a bitsetting tool and this would make it more compatable. Ricohjpnr01 02 is all I use and have no problems.
    Crusaders,
    Your Ridata 4x dvd+r's recognized as Ritek is not the same as Ricohjpn. Ritek manufactures both the Ritek Ridata +r media and Ricohjpn (at Ricoh specs). You could say Ricohjpn uses Riteks tools and Ricohs blueprints. They are not the same. Your media id is probably Ritek R03.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2004
  5. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... That's really odd ... I've been using two different batches of RiData media lately and I've been having a lot of success with both ... One group is a cakebox of 100 purchased from NewEgg which is Ritek R03 (4x +R) discs and the other is a cakebox of 100 RICOHJPN R01 (also 4x +R) discs purchased from SuperMedia Store ... They're being "burned" in my computer's Ricoh MP5240A drive, and my set top Lite On LVW5005 ... The only bad discs so far (out of about 30 from each group) has been a badly scuffed disc from the very bottom of one of the cakeboxes ...

6. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

Deleted.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.[/small]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Gnomex,
    Ritek g04 is -r media. Ritek r03 and Ricohjpnr01 are both +r media. Whats that got to do w/ this thread?

8. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

I stand corrected, failed to notice +R in terms of media proformence.

9. rparks3

rparks3 Member

Mort81,
    I tried to play the recorded DVD's in two other DVD players and neither worked properly. I have a friend who has purchased 200 DVD's that will not work with his equipment, so we are going to try each others media on our respective burners and players. I am not sure I understand your statement,"I'm not familiar w/ your dvdrw, but if it qualifies, you could set the booktype to dvd-rom on your +r media w/ a bitsetting tool and this would make it more compatable." Could you hold my hand a little more and explain what you mean? Thanks for your reply. I am still searching. At least I do have several "working media I can use." I also am not sure if I can install firmware that is not the "DELL" OEM firmware on my NEC NA-1100A burner. Thanks, Ron.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rparks3,
    Not all dvdrw drives are capable of booktypeing +r media to dvd-rom. I use a f/w patch called omnipatcher (only works on lite-on drives) that I have set to booktype all +r media to dvd-rom although there are other tools I could use such as lite-on bitsetting tool, kprobe, and nero. You can ask on this forum to see if anybody knows if your drive is capable. http://club.cdfreaks.com/ I don't know where to tell you to look here and as stated before I don't know. Here's a couple of links that explain booktypeing a whole bunch better than I can. http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp?mid=0&sid=2&aid=42
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150 Let me know what you find out and good luck.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I just realized you stated your drive was a NEC. I'm sure there is some f/w and modified f/w available for that drive. I think it is capable of formating to dvd-rom. Club cd freaks has a sub forum just for NEC owners. Hope this helps.

12. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I'd try to play the DVD on other standalone players since the DVD works on your PC. Old Panasonic players will not play rewritables, and maybe it doesn't like the +Rs. When you use Nero, select "DVD Video" so it will verify that you have all the files and folders required for a DVD (*.ifo, VIDEO_TS).