1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ridata G04 Quality

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by kchev, Nov 3, 2004.

1. kchev

kchev Regular member

I have 2 spindles of G04's. One of them gives power calibration errors on every disk in my NEC 1300A. The other spindle burns good but has a high KProbe spike at the beginning of disc. It spikes around 250-290. The rest of the burn is about 5. Are these discs anything to possibly worry about?

2. qetuo

qetuo Member

They considered to be good quality... Its not comparable with top brands such as TY, Ricoh, and MCC but they are decent media and I have found that have good combatibility overall.

Though, I had some average results in the past with my Plextor drive, but now with Pioneer they write at much lower errors...

3. pieman

pieman Regular member

another example of inconsistancy.Yet again just cos it says ritek doesnt mean its any good.Nowadays it seems every bugger has a licence to use the ritek name/dye.Pay the money and use ty!

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

They came from Rima so they should be real.
    They are just bad quality from Ritek themselves.

5. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

Have you checked the Media ID yet?

6. kchev

kchev Regular member

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEKG04
    Format Capacity Not Formatted
    Free Blocks 411107328
    Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
    Book Type DVD-R
    Media Type DVD-R
    Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    2x Speed OPC beta 08
    2x Speed OPC power 12
    2x Write Strategy field 1 11 86 67 80
    2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta 06
    4x Speed OPC power 19
    4x Write Strategy field 1 0A 0B 09 01
    4x Write Strategy field 2 99 05 0C 0B
    4x Write Strategy field 3 00 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 04
    4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1D
    4x Write Strategy field 4 18 A8 88 85
    4x Write Strategy field 5 89 AC 88 80 00 00
    4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I think the G04's consistancy is starting to vary somewhat from batch. My last batch I had to burn at 2x and it was still no guarantee. I switched to Ridata dvd+r's (Ricohjpn R01) and burn them at 8x with no problems.

8. kchev

kchev Regular member

I agree with you totally. I have tried G04's from meritline, rima, and newegg with not so good results. The best quality I had of the three were from meritline though. Looks like +R's from here on out for me for awhile.

9. RicTheRed

RicTheRed Guest

kchev
    Usually, there is no concern with high spikes at the early stage of the testing.
    I do not have a link for you, but I've read this many times. There is reason and it is not related to the media.
    So if the rest of the disk is good, then you must not worry with high early spikes.

10. kchev

kchev Regular member

It has to be media associated because the scans looked the same on actually three different burners. I have a Sony DRU-510A, LiteOn SOHW-1613, and NEC 1300A that I tried them on to see if it was the burner or the media. I had some G04's from Meritline awhile back and they scanned fine.
    I am just concerned about the discs eventually going bad from the high spike.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  11. 12256180

12256180 Member

Having similar trouble with recent spindle of Ritek tangos that I thought were the GO4s I've been using (with NO failures) for months now. Turns out this new batch are actually GO5s (8x media) relabelled because Ritek/whoever ran out of GO4s. I'm getting failure after failure (e.g. power calibration error) with the occasional semi-decent burn. Have followed Scuba Pete's guide to the letter, even to the point of reversing my own usual practice of doing Decrypter BEFORE Shrink. Have cut out Norton, Zonelabs, etc - just got a couple of decent burns using some Maxell -R that DVD Identifier tells me are (wait for it) Ritek GO4s!

Am using a Sony DWU-14 flashed (twice) to a DRU10A with the most recent 1.1a firmware running okay as of two days ago.

Am no expert & can't really comment on whether or not Ritek quality is diminishing, but I'm certain that my burner doesn't really get on with GO5s & seems perfectly happy with GO4s.

By the way: used to worry about my media when I was using DVD X Copy Xpress. I should've known, really...Stick with Shrink & Decrypter.

Am now scattershot ordering 25-packs of Ritek, Ridata & verbatim online - see what works best.

Last tip: my previous (excellent) Ritek tangos said 'Grade A Media' on them; the new failure-prone ones say 'Premium Grade Media'.

12. ash010673

ash010673 Member

Sent from my supplier ,

Recently it has been highlighted on many forums and discussion groups that the quality of discs produced by certain manufacturers has gone down hill. Click here for some examples.

To further compound the problem, Ritek, who previously set the standards for 4x DVD-R have now started using an inferior dye in many of their discs - the Ritek M02 dye. Our customers have been buying discs assuming they where G04 and inside the pack is an inferior M02 mixed in!!

As a result many of the major brands have switched over to other dyes. The disc that has totally blown everyone away is the new Datawrite Printable 8X. This disc is manufactured for Datawrite by CMC magnetics using a Mitsubishi Dye (same dye as verbatim and TDK).

Hope this helps

13. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

Wow very interesting....

Has anyone else used these Datawrite and can stand up to that statement?

14. antons

antons Member

Bought 150 printable DVD-R G04, they identified as G04... Tried about 20 disc's, from two spindles... ALL failed read testing.. ..not only spikes, failures!! I've been using the same brand, CloneDisk printable, for a long long time... buying about 1000 disk's. I've returned those disk's and will get refund's... Would any 1 recommend getting G05 instead?

15. ispy

ispy Regular member

I went to a UK computer fair yesterday,several sellers said that Ritek GO4 -R are now MO2 Dye that are not that good.The price of the GO4 with the Dark dye has actually gone up!

16. Flash-

Flash- Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2004
  17. ispy

ispy Regular member

Flash,
    Yes I read that today it was very informative,In conclusion,with TY discs as good as they are,which ones would take the No.2 place for -R ? for burning on Pioneer 108 with 1.14 firmware.

18. Flash-

Flash- Guest

With the current range of Datawrite it's difficult to chose between them. I use discs from the full range without any problems and providing they stick with the current dyes there should be no problems with any of the Datawrite media

19. ricster

ricster Regular member

ash010673, was that ukdvdr ? I seem to recall getting something similar from them which had a link to some interesting pictures of flawed G04s. Can you supply the link ? I'm not sure I still have it but it made interesting reading.

20. Flash-

Flash- Guest