1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ridata

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by betazetaX, Jun 7, 2004.

1. betazetaX

betazetaX Guest

Are Ridata branded Ritek G04's a good media?
    I checked out videohelp.com
    Anyone have an opinion about this brand...???

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2004
  2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

The best!!! that's all I use now. Before I used memorex+r but not any more. Go with Ridata branded Ritek G04's, you can't go wrong with these.

3. betazetaX

betazetaX Guest

Cool. Thanks. I'm a Canuck so I'm gunna order them from www.blankmedia.ca cause are $ is worthless.
    Thanks again : )

4. betazetaX

betazetaX Guest

Just got some Ridata Ritek G04's. WOW...they don't have globs of glue spewing out the seam. WOW....they actually produce excellent copies. Just got schooled in bad media 101. If you’re a Canuck like me, steer clear of future shop media...especially there E3 works junk media.

P.S. Anyone wanna buy a spindle of E3 Works DVD-r's

5. RussReef

RussReef Guest

Yeah, Ritek/Ridata GO4 is awesome media. Haven't had a bad burn yet and I'm at 300 discs and counting. You check here for prices... also you can see how people favor this media on their poll:

http://www.supermediastore.com/dvdmedia.html

6. kyle808

kyle808 Member

I think I got a crappy set of Ritek Ridata G04, there are globs of glue around the edges of all the DVDs, the first 5 or 6 burned fine and worked, but now I'm getting coasters... mine is labeled RIDATA on the uppper left with 4X DVD-R on the left, some lines on the bottom, looks like a arrow pointing to the right across the DVD.

I do have a different spindle of Ritek G04 with plain top DVD, no branding or anything.. seems to be working great, no glue of the edges.

so i don't know what to think.

7. RussReef

RussReef Guest

Hmm... where did you buy them?

Install DVDINFOpro, and tell us what it reads the suspect media as.

8. kyle808

kyle808 Member

Here's the info from DVDinfo

Media Information
    Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEKG04
    Format Capacity Not Formatted
    Free Blocks 411107328
    Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
    Book Type DVD-R
    Media Type DVD-R
    Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
    Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    2x Speed OPC beta 08
    2x Speed OPC power 12
    2x Write Strategy field 1 11 86 67 80
    2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta 05
    4x Speed OPC power 1B
    4x Write Strategy field 1 0E 10 08 09
    4x Write Strategy field 2 97 06 0D 0B
    4x Write Strategy field 3 00 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 04
    4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1D
    4x Write Strategy field 4 18 A8 88 85
    4x Write Strategy field 5 89 AC 88 80 00 00
    4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

I got from from newegg.com.. a pretty good site here in the US. Link to actual product.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-341&depa=0

9. RussReef

RussReef Guest

Yep, the media code says they're RITEKG04's. So, that's good. Hmmm? I don't know why you got a bad batch. I've had almost 300 burns with these discs, and not a coaster yet. However, the seams on mine aren't gushing glue.

Given that you bought them at newegg, why don't you call them and tell them you got a bad batch (tell them specifically about the glue gushing from the seams that you've observed, and that your other spindle of Ridata doesn't look like that). I bet newegg will let you exchange them, since they're pretty good with customer service. Even if it's for the same brand, chances are that you just got a bad spindle.

Really, lots of people are reporting great sucess with these discs all over!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2004
  10. forkndave

forkndave Member

I've had pretty good luck with Ritek G04 discs. I use Kprobe to check a lot of my burns and I find that Ritek G04 is one of the more consistant ones. Every now and then I get a batch that isn't quite as good, but still acceptable. Another brand that I have found to be quite acceptable (at least on my Pioneer A07) is Prodisc. They are a little cheaper than Ritek. You can get 100 printables from Supermediastore.com for something like $46.00. I also have a Lite on LDW-411s hacked to 811s and the prodiscs aren't as good on it, though. Of course the Riteks aren't either. Just my $.02.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2004
  11. RussReef

RussReef Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2004
  12. kyle808

kyle808 Member

Thanks for the info on Ritek... Newegg.com was able to RMA me the same exact spindle again, hopefully, I just got a bad batch the last time. We'll see..

Btw, I was wondering if the Ritek discs that you guys are using have any branding on the disc or do they come completely plain with no branding like the good spindle I got from Supermediastore.com

Is it common for Ritek disc to have plain tops?

Thanks.

13. RussReef

RussReef Guest

They come both branded and unbranded. I've only used the unbranded (silver matte) plain-topped ones. It's the composition that's the important part-- how/where you particular disc was manufactured (READ: quality control). Whether branded or not, if the disc is coming from the same manufacturing plant, the disc should perform the same.

One way to know who your disc's manufacturer really is, is to read the media code of your disc with DVDinfo -- to make sure it's genuine! :)

Many "name brand" companies buy media from a variety of different sources/manufacturing plants, and simple put their same brand on them... even though the quality of discs coming from these different sources may be very different. This makes buying by brand name alone, a nightmare!

Follow this link, and scroll down to the bolded title: "I will give two strong examples..." for a better understanding of this:
    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t172496.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2004
  14. RussReef

RussReef Guest

Just for kicks, I went back and looked at the media codes -with DVDinfo- of the older discs I used to buy: Fuji Film (RITEKG..03), Memorex (Prodis..cS0).

Now I just by Ritek G04's straight from the source, unbranded. It's the same exact media, only my money didn't go to a "name brand" company. And, I won't get tripped up, if someone like Fuji all of a sudden decided to switch the particular manufacturing plant they're buying their disc from (and putting their brand on) at the moment.

15. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I have also burned a batch of Ridata G04's. Excellent burn and the playback quality was excellent. Until about six weeks later when I went to watch a couple of my backed up dvd's. Some of the quality had deteriorated quite a lot.
    I still only use Ritek but avoid the Ridata like the plague.
    In my opinion they don't keep their original quality.
    So there!

16. G()dz

G()dz Member

I wont use anything else now and U have tried a fair few different types

I havent got any coasters (none that wernt my fault :p ) and they will play on anything

17. kyle808

kyle808 Member

So I returned my first batch of Ridata 4X G04 to Newegg.com because I was getting coasters and there was glue residue around the entire edges of all the disc. Now I just got my replacement spindle, opened it, check it out, and viola... there's that glue residue again. What's the deal? Has anyone else got these crappy Ridata G04 like me? here's a pic of what they look like

http://www.supermediastore.com/ritek-ridata-4x-dvd-r-retail-box.html

btw, i didn't buy them from supermediastore, got them from newegg.com

Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
  18. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Strangeness.

I just got a 50 spingle of the same RiDATA from newegg (cakebox/purple label) and they don't have any glue or other abnormalities about them.

19. kyle808

kyle808 Member

Maybe i'm just having really bad luck with these Ridata disc and newegg.com. But I did notice that the price of these disc (cakebox,purple label) has been dropping a few dollars every week, they are incredibably cheap at both supermediastore and newegg now, when all the other Ritek disc are at normal prices. Did you notice that these Ridata disc at newegg.com are not refundable or exchangeable??? Something fishy is going on???

The only success I've had with Ritek, are the ones with with no labels or brandings on the top of the disc that I got from supermediastore.

Funny thing is that they both came in the purble cakebox, both are Ridata G04, but the ones from supermediatore came with plain tops, while newegg's came with branding on the top of the disc that had words and an arrow pointing to the right.

Now I'm not sure what Ritek disc to buy.

20. Galbin

Galbin Guest

And never you will be....

I used to use Ritek a while back, and by looking at the codes around the hub determined that a number of branded disks, such as Memorex, where identical to the Ritek version. I checked again recently, and noticed that Memorex now uses a different source. So it seems that source of all disks changes over time.

I have finally decided that with prices dropping drastically at the retail stores (BestBuy, CompUSA), 50 disks now go for $40 (except Princos 2X which CompUSA recently sold for 50 for $20), buying local is easier than going the mail order route.