1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Riddle Me this ... (please)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by _Filo_, Mar 24, 2003.

1. _Filo_

_Filo_ Member

Hi. Can I pick you collective brains on an recurring problem please.
    I installed a magic3.6 in my V3PAL PS2 (or rather, I threw out the clip as it my machine turned out to be the GAP version and I could'nt use). I ended up doing a 3.1 install from the diagram. Anyhow, all works just fine as it should (with the exception of my V3 drive not loving DVDR's, but then that topics been covered here).

Onto the problem. This has happened three times now since I Modded, and it happened again yestarday. I was happly playing for 3-4hours, popped the tray, put in a new disc, hit reset ... Damn! the PS2 resets, but the tray stays out. Hit reset multiple times, same thing.
    Now as I said this is not the first time. Last time I took the whole thing apart, re-checked all my solder points for bridges and continuety with a multi-meter. Everything is fine. I thought the culprit was one, or both of the ribbon cables no being in properly and have re-seated them numerous times.
    Last time, after closing all up, it went back to working fine.

Now, its still on the blink. However, I found this. When the tray is out and non responsive, if I just push it in manually a little (i'm talking about 1cm) then hit reset it works fine ??

I seems like the tray is coming out too far or summin? Or like the PS2 dont know exactly where the tray is ??

So, anyone seen this before? O know which, if any, of the solder points might be resposible for this odd behavour?

Thanks in advance for any advice .. It's just not right having to push my tray 1cm! :)

2. _Filo_

_Filo_ Member

Oh, and I shoudld have mentioned a time frame. The last time this happened was about a month ago, and before that when I modded about three weeks.

3. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

yeah happens to me sometimes but I don't make too much off it. I power down with the switch at the rear and it back on the road again. I got 2 modded PS2 (magic 3.1, V7) and happens to both but very rarely. Try not pull your ps2 apart if u don't have to. Less physical wear and tear on the internal parts especially the ribbons.

4. _Filo_

_Filo_ Member

Doh! Egg on my face! :)

I found the source of my problems. I had soldered a wire to the wrong point. Don't know how I managed that one. Hehe. :)

I soldered R into the little VIA below the resistor edge it was supposed to go to. Surprised it worked at all. I've been playing games had it modded for about 8weeks now and been playing away with no problems (except when the tray had a fit and would'nt go back in).