1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Right, Im going to buy a new Network Card...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ronyap, Sep 14, 2007.

1. ronyap

ronyap Member

I have just bought a new computer. It has not internal Wireless card. I have two other computers: One Laptop one Desktop. The laptop has internally built-in wireless, and the Desktop is attached to a Router, so this is my first time buying a network card.

1) First of all. USB or Network Card? I have read that Network card is better. What would be the recommended price to spend on a good network card.

2) Secondly, are there compatibility issues with Network cards? I mean, do certain computers reject certain brands of Network Card?

3) What brand is the best?

4) How do I install a Network card? I have been on sites, but most of them are really old sites. So I am asking here to make sure. Firstly I unscrew the back, and then just insert it into the slot? Is that all?

Thanks

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Most of the time I refer to wireless network cards as just wireless cards, and think of network cards as Ethernet, but I assume you mean a wireless network card.
    PCI wireless network cards are easy to install, all you need to do is unscrew the backplate cover, then plug the card into the slot and screw it in. It may be detected automatically, if not, use the disc that comes with it to install it.

3. ronyap

ronyap Member

In my catalogue, it says 'Laptop Network Card' Do Laptop ones work on Desktop Computers? Thanks

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

no, you need a PCI one if you have a desktop pc.

5. ronyap

ronyap Member

Thanks. Ive just comeback from shopping. And its peeing me off. As you all know I have a new computer. And guess what? Its a slim computer meaning that the CPU is thinner. I bought a Belkin G Wireless network Crad to find that it is too big in Height! You know, the silver metal bit. It sticks out! This is really frustrating for me. Are there any smaller Network cards out there? I hope I can still get a refund. Dammit.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

?
    As far as I knew, slim cases still had the same height PCI brackets. Are you sure it doesn't fit? What's the make/model of the PC?

7. ronyap

ronyap Member

My computer is a Desktop Dell Inspiron 530S. It is a new computer just come out. Just so you know the 'S' stands for Slim.

Thanks

8. ronyap

ronyap Member

I have just found out this from the webstie:

"Always Connected
    Inspiron desktops make it easy to stay in touch whether you’re connecting to the Internet or wirelessly networking within your home. Select the Bluetooth option and add wireless peripherals like a keyboard, mouse and more."

WHAT Bluetooth option? Where is this bluetooth option?

Thanks

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Bluetooth networking I suppose. I've never used it, so I wouldn't know, do you have a manual?

10. ronyap

ronyap Member

Nevermind. I just refunded the Network Card and bought a USB wireless thing. Even though it is not as good as the card it will do for now.