1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

right operating system

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by scribbla, Sep 23, 2002.

1. scribbla

scribbla Member

I posted a message before i have a p4 1.6ghz 512 sd ram ao4, 16x dvd and a 40 hd with win 98 se . Ihave been trying to rip dvds using a guide using the proprate tools. But when using dvd decrypter it says fat32 does not support 4 gb. and when you take the copy protection off using this it splits to two files. My question was answered by drd in which he said that it was indeed my o/s and i should change it to n.t as this can manage bigger files. My question is now this can i get another hard drive for just ripping dvds with n.t on it??? whilst still keeping windows 98 se on the other???
    Oh and just to clear this up i bought a copy of win nt 4 as i was told it is newer. it has win nt server, windows nt workstation, but it also has win 95 on it is the right o/s ??? or do i have to have normal win nt???? Thanks Scribbla

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Windows 2000 Professional is the best choice for video editing at the moment, IMHO. XP has too much useless crap on it and NT4 doesn't have adequate DirectX support in it -- W2k is actually NT 5.0.

3. scribbla

scribbla Member

so i dont need nt.4 and need to buy win 2000 . is this the same as windows me? And i can run to different windows on two different h/d's if the right drivers are loaded on each of them??? .... Thanks DrD (da boss) .. scribbla

4. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

Windows 2000 is not the same as Windows Me, thank goodness.. Windows Me was the worst piece of crap that Micro$oft ever created. Anyhow, to answer your other question, you can dual boot Windows 2000 with another operating system by putting in another hard drive and booting from your Windows 2000 CD.. You then choose to install 2000 on your new hard drive, format it with FAT32 if you want any files on it to be accessible by Windows 9x/Me though.. NTFS is not compatible with these O/S's. Windows 2000 will automatically udpate your Master Boot Record, and create the boot partition on your first hard drive along with the boot.ini file, which is responsible for the boot menu, which enables you to choose which operating system you want to boot.

I once had my system booting 5 operating systems, but have since reduced it to only 2.. this is what my boot menu looked like:

Grub boot menu
    1. Microsoft Windows XP
    2. Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
    3. Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
    4. Mandrake Linux 8.0
    5. Red Hat Linux 7.3

Yeah.. it all fell apart one day and I ended up having to restore the MBR with XP, and lost my Linux installs.. oh well, they were not that important anyhow, and now the space is being used for Movie storage!! hehe ;-)