1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

right processor speed

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by kinza, Nov 22, 2004.

1. kinza

kinza Regular member

I decided to buy a new computer and was just wondering, how much RAM and processor speed is enough to copy a DVD onto your hard drive in under twenty minutes. Also, how much would I need for video editing? I don't care whether it's AMD Athlon or Pentium 4.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

As far as RAM ... at least 512. If you can 1GB.

3. kinza

kinza Regular member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  4. ERA2000

ERA2000 Regular member

I'm guessing it's cheap because the cpu is Pentium 4c not newer Prescott, memory is single channel (1 stick) and low, no graphics card, no dvd burner and a small hard drive.
    Still pretty good deal 'cos the CPU alone on newwegg is $185.00
    Also You will have to install a DVD burner your self since I dont see an upgrade option.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

kinza,
    That is a very good deal, but be aware you are going to get what you pay for, but for $300 the Processor, and Windows XP pretty much takes care of that. Anyway a few thing's I ask myself when looking at this computer is what type motherboard is in it? Video card is built on motherboard, can it be disabled I imagine it can but you never can tell? What type of memory is that? Small processor exspecially if you want to back up DVD's? It is a decent base if you can upgrade Video, HDD, Memory, and Sound. If anything it looks worth it just for the CPU, WinXP(if it comes with the CD), Case and power supply. Other than that it dosent tell you enough about the computer (which Tiger is known for) If you can or know someone that ca the best way to buy a computer is from the ground up. What I mean is to have one cutom built for you. Then you know exactly what you are getting and it is a little cheaper this way too(but better quality).

Good Luck :)

6. kinza

kinza Regular member

thanks for your advice, but are u saying that 3.0 Ghz isn't enough for dvd backup? If you aren't is hyper-threading technology with that cpu good?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

kinza,
    No no no I'm not saying that at all that is plenty. I was just saying to shop around before you buy. Any modern day (within last couple of years) processor will work fine. If you can run XP then I would suspect that your processor is fine it is the memory you should probably have at least 512MB but try and get 1GB as Flip has stated already. All I was really saying is the system all together is not all that (just my opinion) but for the price the Processor and windows XP would almost cost you what you are paying for the system at most places. So anything else extra is just a plus.

Hope this clears things up a bit :)
    Happy Thanksgiving all

8. kinza

kinza Regular member

so even if you have a really sucky processor like 1.6 Ghz and you put in 512(which is all the motherboard can take) then you would do better?

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yep :)

Dont get me wrong you will always do better with a better processor, but that processor would work just fine. The memory is one of the best and easiest upgrades you can do to your computer. Don't forget the video card either though. Most computers will work much better with a high end video card no matter what the CPU or memory. To me this is one of the most important pieces to making a computer run smoothly. I am not saying buy a $700 video card either just a decent one for $200 or so...

Good Luck & Happy Thanksgiving all :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  10. kinza

kinza Regular member

thanks a lot for your help