1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rip CD to ISO, then RIP ISO to MP3....

Discussion in 'Audio' started by doubleo, Mar 19, 2005.

1. doubleo

doubleo Member

I have a bunch of CD's I want to rip to images (ISO, CCD, whatever...the format doesn't matter so much.)

Then I would like to be able to mount the images as drive letters and rip to MP3/WMA/APE, etc...

Does anybody have a system for doing this? I was thinking I'd use CloneCD to rip to a CCD Image and then use their Virtual Drive thing to mount the CCD. Then rip. Initially I am getting an ASPI error from AudioGrabber when trying to rip from the mounted image.

Anyway, is anybody doing something like this????

Thanks for any help...

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I'm not so sure you will get the best results ripping from an image to mp3. why not just rip from the original audio CD first, then you could make an image from the CD as well. Your problem could be fixed however by using better software. Use Daemon Tools Iso Mounter to mount your image files, and rip with EAC and LAME plugin. Here is the guide for using EAC if you're interested.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/mydeneaclame.cfm

3. doubleo

doubleo Member

So am I hearing that an Audio CD CAN be saved to an ISO image????

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yes you can, but I don't know how well rippers will be able to extract the audio. thats why I'd recommend using the original CD

5. doubleo

doubleo Member

Well, here's what I'm thinking....

(it implies piracy)

My friend stops by for a bit and has his CD case with him. He's got about 15 CD's that I'd like to add to my collection.....

I need to grab them as quickly as possible as not to inconvenience my friend. I can rip the original directly to MP3 and call it done. That's what I HAVE been doing, but I dont have a copy of the original CD. While it is unlikely that I'd ever lose my MP3 collection (RAID-5 with backup to another server) I don't have the original CD if I ever needed to re-rip to say, another format (say APE,OGG, or WMA takes over one day)

So that's why I thought I could rip straight to ISO which takes about 3 minutes per CD. Then at my own leisure I could rip from the ISO's or burn the ISO's back to CD and rip from the copied CD.

Thoughts? how do others do this?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

You need [bold]Alcohol 120%[/bold]. It will do exactly what your talking about. Its not free but well worth the asking price (in my opinion).

About the CD-Ripping. It isn't a problem at all. ITs actually a hell of alot faster (depending on your hard drive) and you won't have to worry about errors caused by disc scratches!

Link to Alcohol 120%:
    http://www.alcohol-soft.com/

Link to reviews:

CD-RW.org:
    http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/alcohol120.cfm

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2005