1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rip DVD Audio Only???

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by CptCrash, Jan 31, 2003.

1. CptCrash

CptCrash Regular member

I'm trying to get some of the audio off of DVD's. Mostly I want the audio\music that is from the menus but can't seem to figure it out. I have tried using AC3Dec v0.821, but am having zero luck. Anyone have a way to do this??? Thaks_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Eric- HP Pavilion 7975, 80GB HD, 768 Ram, HP DVD-Writer 200j[/small]

2. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

This one is real easy! Just rip the movie with SmartRipper (just the chapter where the sound is) and use DVD2AVI. This creates two files, including one big .wav file. The .wasv file is, of course, what you want. Both these apps are available on Afterdawn.

You obvisouly discard the other file.

btw, you can only do this for research or testing purposes on your own DVDs, as I am not sure about the legality of backing up just the audio on your DVDs.

Paul.

3. CptCrash

CptCrash Regular member

loaded, thanks. I'll take your advice!

4. knch9114

knch9114 Guest

Hey Loaded_,
    How can I burn some 2.5 hours CDs to a DVD+r/rw disc?

5. kf6tac

kf6tac Guest

Does anyone know exactly where I should look to find the menu music on a DVD? As far as I can tell, it isn't under any of the chapters.

6. CptCrash

CptCrash Regular member

kf6tac

It's in a different VOB, like _0 or _1 and use DVD2AVI to get it. If you need more info, let me know! I just pulled off the Matrix and Gladiator menu music.

7. kf6tac

kf6tac Guest

So I should look in the vob that is _0 or _1... do I still need to use SmartRipper before DVD2AVI, or can I proceed directly with DVD2AVI?

8. CptCrash

CptCrash Regular member

Yes, you still need to use SmartRipper.

9. kf6tac

kf6tac Guest

Oh I see. When I tried using SmartRipper on the vob file that was _0, it went through the process prior to ripping where it says "Searching key..." and then halfway through it prompts "Quit Ripping?" If I choose no, it goes for about another second and then doesn't generate anything on my hard drive. If I choose yes, then obviously it just quits. Am I looking at the wrong vob file?

Update: Okay, I managed to get SmartRipper to rip the vob file and it does show the menu when I open it in DVD2AVI. However, when I try to extract the audio it plays too fast - almost like a tape player on Fast Forward. Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2003
  10. CptCrash

CptCrash Regular member

I use DVDDecrypter for most of my rips as I am not real comfortable with SmartRipper yet. Haven't taken the time to play around with it much.

11. kf6tac

kf6tac Guest

Thanks very much for the help CaptCrash! I used DVD Decrypter and it worked perfectly. SmartRipper must just have issues with the _0 vob file. Thanks again!

12. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Just click the main movie file, then select the chapter which contains the music you want. Rip only that file, which should take seconds and then use DVD2AVI to demux and select the .wav file. This should be your precious audio :)

Paul.