1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rip DVD Audio

Discussion in 'Audio' started by matinzen, Aug 16, 2004.

1. matinzen

matinzen Member

I have searched the forums for suc a posting and found many posts; however, I did not feel my question was answered so here I go. From the other posts I found that ImTOO DVD Audio Ripper was a good method of extracting audio; however, it cost money that I do not have right now. So, in my search for free alternatives I found DVD Audio Extractor 2.0.1, it can be found here: http://www.download.com/DVD-Audio-Extractor/3000-2140-10306847.html?tag=lst-0-10
    So, I downloaded that program and am now faced with a question. What is the difference between LCPM (48KHZ 16bit 2ch) and AC3 (48KHz 6ch). I guess my question is which one sohuld I extract.

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

That's not free either - it has a 30 day limit on it, and costs $24.95
    For free, you can use either DVDDecrypter, which is the Rolls-Royce of extractors, or SmartRipper.

LPCM at 16/48 is slightly better than CD quality, and AC3 = Dolby Digital. Which is a lossy codec similar to MP3 but much better in terms of quality.

Both these can easily be extracted with DVDDecrypter set up in Stream Processing mode.

3. matinzen

matinzen Member

True, it is not free, however there is no limit on length, unless of course the audio is longer than 1 month. Thank you, I plan on using LPCM, if the quality is not what I wanted than I will try DVDDecrypter, I think I'll try this first however because DVDDecrypter is slightly more complicated correct? Quick question, this gave me the option to extract at same rate as input it didn't say anything about 16/48.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

DVDDecrypter simply extracts exactly what is there.
    PCM in DVD-V is always 16/48. There may be rare items where it is 24/96, but not many.
    Dolby Digital is always 0.192 stereo, and 0.448 surround.
    In DeCrypters settings, make sure that unless you are on a FAT32 drive, all file splitting is turned off, stream processing is enabled, and all should be okay.

When stream processing for audio, untick everything except what you wish to rip, and make sure the option is on demux.

5. matinzen

matinzen Member

Using the program I found, I was very happy with the results.