1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rip speed- how fast should it be?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by zachzchw, Mar 18, 2004.

1. zachzchw

zachzchw Guest

I use shrink to rip, and decrypter to burn. It takes about 25 minutes to rip/analyze a full length dvd. Ive read in these posts that some are ripping dvds in 6-8 minutes. Should my rip speed be quicker? Pc specs are:
    amd athlon xp 2800+
    512 RAM
    Windows Xp
    Tdk indivd internal multiformat 440n

I close as many programs as possible before ripping. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

This is a topic that has been discussed dozens of times before, just type in rip speed in the search box above and you'll find plenty of threads concerning ripping speed, improving ripping speed, DMA settings etc...

3. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Yes but in short your ripping speed looks perfectly normal. Also if you are using the latest version of DVD Shrink you do not need to use Decrypter for burning (not recommended anyway).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2004
  4. zachzchw

zachzchw Guest

WHy isnt decrypter recommended? Can I burn with shrink by itself?

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

zachzchw,

A miss-understanding - my friend Discmania was saying that it isn't recommended to rip with Decrypter and he's absolutely correct, it shouldn’t be used when DVD Shrink does the job extremely well -

Burning with Decrypter in ISO mode is great - it's kind of nice to use all freeware for once - we still have trouble adapting to this new era - beginning to end with freeware, KOOL

Pete

6. zachzchw

zachzchw Guest

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I do love dvd shrink- the customizable compression is my favorite feature. When loading dvd decrypter yesterday, I received a message stating that a new version was available. Any siginificant improvements in this version, as opposed to the previous one?

7. pekadog

pekadog Member

It takes my computer about 20 hours to rip a dvd movie..That doesnt seem right to me. Is it?

8. zachzchw

zachzchw Guest

Pek, what are your computer specs? I know this is the first thing the senior members will ask for. Also, what program(s) are you using to rip?

9. edgex

edgex Member

I've noticed that ripping speeds are normaly related to the size of the movie, If it's a dual layer, and appox 120 minutes plus,45-55 minutes is what mine will do, if the entire back up is a DVD 5 then the ripping speeds are appox 30-40 minutes. I'm running a p4 2.7 533 FSB 1 gig of DDR 333. TDK 880N burner. Although my DVD ROM is rated for 16X read speed, in the ripping stage, it comes no where near that speed. I've come to the conclusion that ripping speeds are the least of my worries. a Quailty burn is what I strive for.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi ya edgex,

Check if your settings are DMA and not PIO - it's always possible your PC reset itself -

Multiple errors cause reset to PIO -
    See - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

Also check if you have the latest firmware for your burner - your times are slow for your resources -

Firmware - upgrades -
    http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

I'm so glad to hear your priorities are for a quality burn - no secret there, use quality media - that is it - follow the guide directions, keep all fingers and toes away from the PC while it is working and use good media :D)

That be the way -

Don't forget edgex, check those links, get your system up to speed and you'll be good to go :)
    an, Welcome to the Club :)

Pete

11. edgex

edgex Member

Top of the morning to ya Pete. I wasn't complaining about my rip speeds, but I'm happy to take your advice. And You are right about the dma settings, I know that my DVD ROM is in PIO mode, although my burner is in DMA. As for firmwre, there isn't any new out there as of yet, it's a brand new TDK 880N 8X +/- So if you say that it's running slow, than it must be. I've followed your advice this long, and All that I have learned is from right here on this site, and all the seniors. To date, I have only 1 coaster..due to my error, and 70 perfect back ups. Thanks for the info Pete...

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Ripping speed is largely affected by the speed your DVD Player is rated at. For example my DVD player is rated at 16X which of course you will never see but you will see speeds between 6 to 9 times. It takes me about 8 to 15 minutes to rip a DVD depending on its size. If I were to rip with my DVD burner which is much slower it would take about 40 minutes, it actually burns faster than it rips. In the long run it is not a good idea to use your burner for ripping because of the added wear and tear. Using DVD shrink and Nero I can rip and burn to a finished product in under 40 minutes. The speed of your system also comes into play, my system has a gig of corsair extreme cas 2 memory and a 2.8 GHz P4 over clocked to 3.15 GHz.

13. edgex

edgex Member

Well Pete,
    Once again you are the man. I have followed your advice and reset my DMA on my DVD ROM, WOW, rip speed is now 8 minutes on a dvd-5 instead of 30 minutes.

You had a link there to microsoft and some info about resetting your registry. I uninstalled my DVD rom driver. and rebooted my system. The hardware wizard popped up, and reinstalled the DVD Rom drive. Rebooted and voila, Kick ass ripping speed.
    Thanks Again Pete!

14. zachzchw

zachzchw Guest

Pete, how can I check my dma settings? Went to the link, checked properties from device manager, didnt see anything about Dma at all. Am I missing a key step somewhere? Thanks for any help.

15. edgex

edgex Member

hey Zack,
    I know you had asked for Pete, but I can tell you how to check your DMA settings. If your using windows XP
    start menu, control panel, go to system, then to hardware.Then to device manager, look for your IDE ATA/ATPI controllers. Open them up, Check both your primary and secondary controllers double click each one. Go into "advance settings and check to see if your settings are in DMA or PIO. If you can use the drop down window to see if you can change the settings to DMA. i f you can't change the settings, then uninstall the drivers for your DVD device thats set to PIO. after you uninstall, reboot your system. After your system restarts, your hardware wizard should pop up saying that there is a new device and it's now ready to use. Reboot again and check your settings in your device manager. They should now read DMA. That should give you MAX ripping speed. ENJOY...

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey, thank you much there little Buddy, ya just saved de ScubaPete a whole lot "O" typing - Now you be helping others, fun isn't it ??

Keep up the good work -

"P"

17. zachzchw

zachzchw Guest

Thanks very much. Did just what you suggested, worked out great!

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Damn, Damn, I say Zach, Boy do I hate it when I'm right - lol

Glad you're happy my friend :D)

"P"