1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rip will play converted avi will not

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by rob31520, Mar 17, 2007.

1. rob31520

rob31520 Guest

Why is it that a ripped movie will play on my PS2 but a downloaded avi movie converted movie will not and all was done correct, I did find one movie when converted to a DVD on 2 DVD did play so is it the compression? I also have the same problem with another DVD player it can play ripped DVD but not downloaded converted ones, what does a ripped DVD have on it that a converted avi does not meaning if you look at a ripped version of lets say toystory and a downloaded converted avi of the same movie what would be different on the ripped version? and if there are differences can you past this code or files into the converted version so it will act just like a ripped copy?
    Rob

2. rico134

rico134 Regular member

it sounds to me like your doing something wrong when converting the downloaded avi file. what method/program are you using to convert the avi file? the avi file alone won't work on the dvd unless on a divx/xvid player i beleive but were getting out of my subject area so perhaps someone else can offer a little more knowledge on this.

the avi has to be converted to dvd by this you should have audio_ts and video_ts file inside a folder when a a program has finished converting. often the data is only in the video_ts folder. take any data from the folders and put in in the correct folder when going to nero burning rom-select dvd video and you should see audio_ts and video_ts. don't copy the two folders audio_ts and video_ts into the folders audio_ts and video_ts on nero.-just the data inside them. select burn.

it sounds to me like this is what your problem could be anyway. as i say someone with more knowledge in the subject area could be more of assistance, i really only deal with ps2 games.

3. rob31520

rob31520 Guest

I use one click DVD copy to rip with and ConvertXtoDVD to convert shrink and burn avi, I just have no idea why the rip DVD play on anything and the converted avi will not, I have used avi2dvd and I think the problem was it did not compress but I can't be sure I have used maybe 40 programs as a all in one solution over the last 4 months and I am happy with ConvertXtoDVD it plays on most all of the DVD players under 3 years old, I would just like to know is there a program that would allow me to see all the files on a rip DVD and a converter DVD so I can compare the 2 because the rip version plays on all players including PS2, I also use DVD43 with one click DVD copy for all protected DVD but it must be disabled when burning AVI or DVD with no protection, let me know if you have the solution.
    Rob

4. rico134

rico134 Regular member

i don't think you need a program to view the files, just insert dvd, go to the drive it is in by going to my computer and selecting the drive and instead of selecting autoplay, choose open and you should see the files and how they look in the ripped version and converted version.

guess (possible) reason.
    another problem could be region as to why the converted version is not playing. you can force convertxtodvd into pal or ntsc via options. it ise set on standard i think automatically. let me know if that works.