1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rip will play converted avi will not

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by rob31520, Mar 17, 2007.

1. rob31520

rob31520 Guest

Why is it that a rip movie will play on my PS2 but a downloaded avi movie converted movie will not and all was done correct, I did find one movie when converted to a DVD on 2 DVD did play so is it the compression? I also have the same problem with another DVD player it can play rip DVD but not downloaded converted ones, what does a ripped DVD have on it that a converted avi does not meaning if you look at a rip version of lets say toystory and a downloaded converted avi of the same movie what would be different on the rip version? and if there are differences can you past this code or files into the converted version so it will act just like a rip copy?
    Rob

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

rob31520,
    When you rip a movie to the HD you will get 3 types of files. They are .ifo, .bup and vob files. After you convert the avi to DVD compliant files do you have only those type files showing? What program are you using to convert the .avi files? Have you tried Avi2DVD to convert the .avi files to DVD-Compliant files

3. rob31520

rob31520 Guest

I use one click DVD copy to rip with and ConvertXtoDVD to convert shrink and burn avi, I just have no idea why the rip DVD play on anything and the converted avi will not, I have used avi2dvd and I think the problem was it did not compress but I can't be sure I have used maybe 40 programs as a all in one solution over the last 4 months and I am happy with ConvertXtoDVD it plays on most all of the DVD players under 3 years old, I would just like to know is there a program that would allow me to see all the files on a rip DVD and a converter DVD so I can compare the 2 because the rip version plays on all players including PS2, I also use DVD43 with one click DVD copy for all protected DVD but it must be disabled when burning AVI or DVD with no protection, let me know if you have the solution.
    Rob

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

rob31520 ,
    I have not had the problems you have had converting the .avi's. The only problems I have heard of is if the original .avi's are corrupted then when they are converted they tend not to play properly. Either of the programs mentioned should do what you need.

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Personally I think DVD43 is a piece of crap. Just a personal opinion since it screwed up my system and had the System 32 folder opening on boot. Luckily I could do a system restore and delete the DVD43 before it got to do any more damage.

RipIt4Me is a good freeware ripper that will rip the files to the hard drive where you can view them.
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/TheGuides/pacman777guide.pdf
    Rip in a file mode and convert to ISO for burning later if needed. I own both ConvertXtoDVD and Nero Vision in the Nero suite for doing AVI conversions. Both do a good job and I've never had a problem playing the output on my player or my friends'. If you're doing the conversion right, I'd suspect a compatibility problem with the player. If the program processes and burns the output, it's usually DVD compliant, at least in all the cases I've used the software. Usually you get a burn error if the files aren't compliant. As Car.Mike pointed out, corrupted AVIs can cause some playability problems, but if they burn, they usually play, just not the way we would like.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  6. rob31520

rob31520 Guest

pacman777 Thanks for your help it seems the problem was the region settings needed to be set on NTSC not PAL, I have not had any problems with DVD43 other than it must be turned off when burning avi or DVD that have the protection removed because it is only made to work past the protection like macrovision on original DVD but I am going to try the ripit4me program I went to there site and it looks like a good program.
    Car.mike I know the avi are ok because I play it with no problem on other devices anyway it looks like the problem was PAL setting.
    Rob

7. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

rob31520 ,
    Thanks for letting us know. The next time this happens look for the framerate and that will tell you if it is a PAL or NTSC File.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

It's been a while since I used ConvertXToDVD. I thought it pointed out whether the files were in NTSC or PAL format and you only needed to select the format you wanted the output to be. As you know NTSC and PAL depend on the region you live in and the hardware in use. The US, region 1, uses NTSC and supporting hardware. The UK in region 2 uses PAL. Besides converting AVI to DVD, the software converts PAL and NTSC. Not long ago I converted a Region 2 DVD to Region 1. That entailed PAL to NTSC conversion. Both ConvertXtoDVD and Nero Vision did a good job. I was trying to see if one worked better than the other.

Glad to see you found your solution. A NTSC-PAL conversion didn't cross my mind when you mentioned an AVI conversion to DVD.