1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RipGuard system

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by hinduguy, Feb 16, 2005.

1. hinduguy

hinduguy Member

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

this is apparently destined for a newer form of DVDs, not sure which. As long as i can spend the next few years accumulating all the older movies i havn't got, then i'm not too bothered about future protections. Someone will no doubt bypass each and every protection as they arise, just as now and in the past

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

4. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

any barrier that is created can be broken.

this MacroVision thing - i smell a crack being distributed shortly prior to its going public.

there will have to be a new type of media that isn't copyable to stop all of this. all software can be broken. even with media - somebody will build a burner that can copy it eventually.

Hollywood will eventually figure out that they no longer hold the cards in this game...

5. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

I bet that within a week after RIP Guard is released there will already be a proggy to get around it. Its kind of like Counterfit money. They always come out with new bills but yet within a week you read in a newpaper that someone has already counterfitted the new bill that cant be duplicated.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2005
  6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ CKY_2084

Change the sig - I don't want that gif all over the forums.

7. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

:( I didn't get to see it, lol, it was probably stupid anyway.

On the subject, I bet ya that Slysoft is already working on cracking it. They cracked a new protection a few days before it was to be publicly released.

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

9. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

I found this interesting
    Source: http://www.technewsworld.com/story/40617.html

10. wild77

wild77 Guest

I found this in one of the articles
    Sounds like it is already a waste of there time and money

11. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

nice find wild :) I bet DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD are one of the few that can already crack this "RipGuard" if not now soon, very soon.

12. wild77

wild77 Guest

I don't think that it will be a big deal for some of us.But others will have no chance if they are having problems now!!!

13. Nephilim

I'm not worried much. The DVD makers are in a pickle because they have millions of customers out there that expect the the movies they buy to play on their current equipment. What this means to me is that there is only so far they can go with new protections and still meet compatibility standards. Plus, unlike protected PC games where you actually install the protection on your system, DVDs are read only so again there's only so far they can go with messing up the disc structure and still make it universally playable.

I see it this way: A) we can still break the much tougher and constantly updated protections used in PC games and B) they're way more constrained as to what they can do compared to the PC protections :)

14. scalper66

scalper66 Member

15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

OK, so let's say that 97% of the ripper programs won't work against the new RipGuard.

That means that 97% of the people have outdated ripping software.

Then these 97% get the 3% of the ripping software that does still work on this new RipGuard.

So finally 100% of the people again will have again software that will rip against the RipGuard software 100%!

Am I 100% right? <G>

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  16. boob

boob Guest

how are companies, such as slysoft and dvdshrink, still allowed to operate? i mean they tried to prosecute the 15 year old kid that made DeCSS. they shut down 321, i think they will hit other companies/programmers soon.

17. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Slysoft if I'm not mistaken is outside the good old USA. Therefore they can keep up the good work. 321 studios was based here and got axed for that.

Jerry

18. Nephilim

Slysoft is in Antigua if I'm not mistaken :)

19. twentz

twentz Guest

well they said that some facilities already are using Rip Guard. In mid 2005 all facilities it will be available to. They also said it will crash the burning process. To stop people from backing up their movies. Well my opinion is Columbia Tri-Star is the facility using this RE2, little black book, grudge, and forgotten. I know it’s called something else but what dose this do it freezes our programs just like rip guard is going to do OR is doing already. Well at least this is my opinion

20. StrikerX

StrikerX Member

those movies have already been cracked with the new version of decrypter.

And wow didn't know it was a 15 year old that made DeCSS!