1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping a dvd recorded from the tv

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by mcdyer, Feb 6, 2008.

1. mcdyer

mcdyer Member

i recorded a film on my recordable dvd player ( i think its a philips DVDR3480/05) and wanted to rip it on to my computer to cut the ads out of it. i was using rip it 4 me, dvd decryptor, dvd shrink, nero, to name a few, and all of these seemed to get to the same point and stick.
    i know there is no problem with the blank dvd i used as it was brand new , and i have a feeling it could be something to do with the dvd recorder because it worked alrite on my old recorder.
    any suggestions?

2. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

It sounds like a media problem. Even if a disc will play in a standalone, ripping it is a little more intricate. What brand of blank media are you using?

3. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

A home recorded DVD shouldn't require a 'ripper' as there is no DRM stuff on it. If Windows Explorer can't copy it to your HD there's a problem with the disk or your DVD drive. You might try ISO Puzzler or ISO Buster to read it.

4. malynch69

malynch69 Member

As Olyteddy said you don't need a ripper as there is no protection.

To see if it is the media, you can just use Windows Explorer and do a copy/paste to get it to your HDD.

I recommend Imgburn for to read the disc. It doesn't have any edit functions though.

5. mcdyer

mcdyer Member

i dont think its a problem with my dvd drive because the disc still plays in it and i am still able to backup/burn normal dvd's, and i had no problem with my old dvd recorder.

i am using imation dvd+rw discs.

if i can get it stored on to my hdd i would be able to use nero to edit the film, but it doesnt even seem to be able to copy it to the hdd in the 1st place

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

That's because it is an Imation DVD. Most likely made by CMC.Mag. Even though the disc plays okay, it still could be a bad burn and impossible to rip. Get better discs. Liie someone suggested, try ripping it with IsoBuster or ImgBurn.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  7. jony218

jony218 Guest

Do a disc quality test on your burned dvd. You can use nero for that. That will give you a "score" on your dvd media. You want to get a score of over 85 percent. Anything below 85 percent will give you playback problems.