1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping a VCD (I think) with TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by jagman55, Feb 16, 2007.

1. jagman55

jagman55 Member

I have a CD-video and assumed it was a VCD. It has folders:
    CDI
    EXT
    MPEGAV
    SEGMENT
    VCD

The CD plays fine on POWERDVD so assuming it is good CD.

Another person on this forum (back in 2002) said to us TMPGEnc and look for folder MPEGAV and file AVSEQ01.DAT. When you browse, TMPGEnc is not looking for a .DAT file and if I use ALL FILES, I get an error:
    "can not open or unsupported"

Can anyone tell me if the file structure above is a VCD? or what?

Does anyone know of a program that will RIP the above file structure?

Thanks

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

what do you want to do with the file? if you want to make a dvd you have to extract the file from MPEGAV and in that file you will see this AVSEQ01.DAT you can use convertxtodvd to make a dvd, but the quailty might not be a verry good one it dependes on the quailty of what the vcd was made from, what i would do is find the same file that the vcd was made from and go from there

3. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

That Aviseq01.dat file is just an mpeg file. You can copy the file to a folder on your hard drive and change the extension to .mpg and do whatever you want with it after that. Since it is already an mpg file I wonder why you want to process it with TMPGEnc?

4. jagman55

jagman55 Member

The problem I have is the original file was an AVI I wanted to "split" and remove some. When i tried AVI splitter by Boilsoft, it said something was wrong with the compression and the sound and the video would not be in sync and it tried to re-compress but could not, got about 1/4 thru and would stop. So I used Ashampoo shrink to put it on a CD-RW and everything went fine but neither copy will allow me 'split'
    The only splitter I have is Boilsoft and it is really picky about splitting certian AVI files. Would like to chop it down to about 1/2 the size and add some other AVI to either the CD OR to a DVD.
    I have lots of TV programs in MPG and AVI am trying to remove front and end, then stack on DVD with authoring or even as files, but never seem to find tools that will work on most MPG or AVI.

5. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

well the file was a download right? just redownload the file thain unrar the file and thain use convertxtodvd to make your dvd, also make sure that you deleate the other file before you do this

6. m4nv33r

m4nv33r Member

thats the easiest way, WMP supports .dat file too