1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Ripping CDs for the last time...Please Read and Suggest

Discussion in 'General audio discussion' started by bob332, May 1, 2016.

1. bob332

bob332 Member

Hello,
    Been a while since I have been here. Need some advice and here is the situation.

After looking at new cars and new car stereos, there seems to be universal support for MP3 just from a memory stick, no Ipod, no anything in between.

I have ripped my CD collection a couple of times - 1x to mp3pro - format did not take off, then ripped them all to 160KB/s, but now that the cost of storage is so low, including flash drives, I would like to go back and do one last rip of them all @ 320KB/s with the best setting w/ the LAME encoder that is listed in another part of the site. What I would also like to do is find software that will rip all the CDs to either WAV files or the entire CD as an ISO and then allow me to set up the naming convention and have the software convert to MP3 after I have everything queued up. I will be using multiple quad core computers along with a couple dual cores and do not care how much time or space it takes up.

Please recommend the ripping software of ripping software that will create folders/subfolders for Artists/Disc and also please recommend the standard format for the ID3 tag. I would like this to be as standard as possible so it will be the last time I do it.

I will also need a guide that does the same thing for files I have bought off of iTunes.

Is there anything I can do about the iTunes files that I bought back in the day that are protected?

Last, I need 1 more dvd-rom, so could you recommend what is currently the best ripping dvd-rom? I have no use atm for a blu-ray drive, so please keep it to a dvd-rom/dvd writer only. I think my newest one is an ASUS unit and it works fine and I will be using it, just need another SATA unit for a system that does not have a PATA port and see no reason to buy a PATA card.

Thanks in advance,
    Bob

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

No such thing as best ripping dvd rom,they're all pretty equal when it comes to branded.Comes down to personal preference.In no particular order a few i can think of
    pioneer
    lite-on
    samsung
    hitachi
    sony
    sanyo
    asus

Rip to iso ? i'm not sure if that'd be best or rip to flac with no compression or maybe half compressed.I ripped mine to flac (no compression) & once done i think i used audicoder to convert to vb mp3.Look for a thread by Mez regarding audio

Ripping software would be either audiocoder or db power amp tho media monkey can rip & convert ? vlc as well

However to rip to whatever format then convert on the fly to vbr mp3 i don't know if that's possible,tho most like db power amp can batch convert once you have say flac

vbr mp3 converted from flac like i did will sound good in a car depending on the source material.As not all alb's especially older were'nt recorded digitally (1960-70's live albums of fleetwood,bob marley,jimi hendrix etc,etc).Some i have were ripped from vinyl..lol..

3. hogger129

hogger129 Member

MP3 is an outdated format.

Rip your CDs using a free program like Exact Audio Copy. Rip to FLAC. I know that there are plenty of guides on how to properly set this up. Store those on an external drive as an archival copy.

Convert those FLAC files to x format to play on your equipment. You can find portable players on the cheap (such as the Fiio X1 or Fiio M3) which support FLAC files from a microSD card.

Get yourself an FM transmitter and listen to your portable in the car that way. Much better sound quality if you have a good car stereo system.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

FM ? Bwhaa hahaha *falls off chair* rotfl .

5. bob332

bob332 Member

Thanks for the suggestion, still in the process of ripping to FLAC. You would think I would be done by now using 2 desktops w/ 2 roms in each and 2 laptops, but only about 1/3 done. Hell, by the time I am done flac will just be supported as I see its support on more and more phones and different items, may not have to worry about a 2nd encoding :).

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Just the amount of space flac takes up.How good any cd sounds no matter what format it's converted too is down to the the original source material when the cd was pressed.I primarily listen to mine in my vehicle (usb stick vbr mp3 mostly live music),i originally used to use all in one speakers a number of years ago.Decided when i got my 2dr ute i'd use component speakers; 2 woofers & two tweets with crossovers,along with the old gm-4000 amp & new head deck,i'm more than happy with it's performance,should'a switched to component speakers years ago,the amp performs even better with speakers that can handle 100watts rms each.Mind you back then i didn't have the luxury of computer or internet as there was none..lol.to do my research

7. hogger129

hogger129 Member

What kind of jobs do you guys work? A 3TB external drive is ~$100. Buy one and store all your FLAC files on it. Storage space should not be a concern in 2016 unless you're playing these files on your phones that have 16GB of storage space. Yes, FLAC sounds better than MP3. MP3 is like the VHS tape of music. Yes, the mastering of the music is important; but why bottleneck the sound quality with MP3? At least use AAC or Ogg Vorbis instead.

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Converting to a more compressed format is about portability & to me would usually mean a thumb drive as it requires stuff all power to run & less expensive to loose or get stolen.Hard drives are for use at home where i'm concerned unless somebody wants to watch some movies or whatever

9. hogger129

hogger129 Member

You're missing the point. I'm saying - rip once, to a lossless format, onto an external hard drive, as a backup. Encode lossy copies from that onto whatever device, etc. Then you only ever have to rip one time.

10. bob332

bob332 Member

That is what I am doing. Space is not the issue ATM, time is what has been my issue, and yes I am ripping to FLAC for the archive rip and convert from their to the best possible lossy format the devices I use will be compatible with.

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

No ! didn't miss the point,i didn't explain clearly at the end of my last post.The mp3 are converted from flac files or ripped dvd audio stored on hdd's

edit: just realised i mentioned in my first post i had flac as the source