1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping DVD Movie that shows over 10GB???

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Oriphus, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hi folks. Want a we bit of input on this:

I've encountered two or three DVD Movies that seem to have two main movie files that are around 5.5GB each. I do know that sometimes these can be a widescreen version and a 4:3 version. However, i also know that there is no way you can put 10GB of data on one side of a DVD disc, be it DVD-9, 10 or 18.

My question is this:
    Is this a dummy file. Does it contain onlythe extra screen shots and then does it link to the original 4:3 file to get the rest of the data? If so, copying this file, although it works, what way is it done??

Cheers

Chris

2. Tosca

Tosca Guest

Perhaps this is just nothing more than a trick to foil disc to disc backups, even with compression, as dvd shrink wouldn't be able to compress it onto one disc (the two I've tried). Not sure how dvd2one would tackle this.

Oh yeah, the two discs that I encountered that had the same exact movie files were not encrypted so this may have been just an attempt at stopping piracy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2003
  3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

It could be, Shrek has 16Gb on its disc??

4. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Not the one I have - copied no problem but lets hope this doesn't become commonplace.

5. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Hello
    With Shek there is a version which lets you record your voice over your favourite Character. I think that may be the reson for the large size (not 100% on that though). For the large files, try putting the disc in your drive, close auto play. Go into the disc with Windows Explorer, see if its a VOB and try playing just the file in WinDVD. That's if I understand you correctly, are there individual files that are really large? Most movies are made up of around 4 files close to 1GB each. At any rate you can open the files and see which are real. Then when backing to the Hard disc with what ever program, delete the junk.

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Cheers. I have no probs ripping, compressing and backing up discs, was really just wondering if anyone actually knows what the dummy files are. There were a few ideas thrown in. Its food for thought, cheers!

Chris

7. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Actually with Shrek I remember carefully selecting the extras I wanted as it was a big file. I used DVD Shrink and the result was fine.