1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping DVD to edit

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by lesstjake, Feb 21, 2007.

1. lesstjake

lesstjake Regular member

Not sure where this goes. My plan is to rip parts of a dvd and then edit them in adobe premiere. I know it can be done b/c I've done it nicely before but I can't quite remember. I know I used SmartRipper to give me some nice vobs. And then because I couldn't get vob's into Premiere, I used MPEG Mediator to convert them to something else. Now, when mpeg mediator converts to mpeg, the audio is out of sync. When I convert it to xvid its fine and then I can import it into Premiere Pro 2.0 but it plays back very choppy in the timeline. I hear Premiere handles DV-AVI's very well but I'm not sure how to export to DV-AVI from MPEG Mediator.

2. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

I think you can import a vob into vdubmod, not sure but I think I've done it once B4

3. DVRI

DVRI Member

I am in the same situation. However, I am using CloneDVD. Transferring directly from DVD Video to AVI no problem -- picture and sound fine, however, when I take the AVI file into Premier Pro 2.0, its has mini squares garbage -- I am assuming its has to do with ecryption codes. I don't know what to do next?

4. lesstjake

lesstjake Regular member

its not the worst importing xvids into premiere I just wish I could find some other export plugins for mpeg mediator.

5. DVRI

DVRI Member

I am not exactly sure what you are experiencing, however, just in the last few minutes I have been able to solve my problem.

I just located a a free download called Video Fixer (video-fixer.com)from sharewareRiver.com it instantly cleaned up for the most part my encrypted "mini squares" it works for me because i am cutting the scenes/footage into a quick montage -- for something more professional it may not be suitable. Part two of my problem is the AVI file had the sound track and played in WinMediaPlayer but not in Premiere, I just downloaded VirtualDub-MPEG1.2 (winzip) and under FILE > SavWAVE, converted the file into a seperate WAV file and now I have an audio track that I can sync and edit on Premiere.

If you want me to email you the three files (for you to compare) before purchasing along with the links email me at mail@danvellucci.com.

6. lesstjake

lesstjake Regular member

I've done this before so I know it works. I've gone from smartipper to mpeg mediator to premiere, the problem is mpeg mediator is exporting to XVID which I feel acts a little choppy in the timeline. I'm sure there's gotta be some plugin to let me export to dv-avi instead of xvid. I guess I cud just use vdub anyway

7. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

An AVI is a file type not a codec like Xvid or Divx, if you want to recompress your xvid using a different compressor use VDub in full processing mode most movies compressed with xvid carry an AVI extension try renaming the file extension to .avi - it's simple but it sometimes works better than you might think.

8. lesstjake

lesstjake Regular member

aren't xvids just a certain type of compressed avi, so why would renaming it with an avi extension change anything

9. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Well it probably won't but sometimes giving a program a file type it recognizes helps, it's quick, easy, and helps narrow down the possible problems, in the time u spent replying you could have tried it :)

I would still try Vdubmod I'm pretty sure you can import VOB's, then you could demux the audio into a wav and recompress the video as an avi and adobe premier will love you for it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  10. lesstjake

lesstjake Regular member

So, import vobs from smartripper into vdub. Then do I demux within vdub?

11. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Dmuxing probably isn't necessary since Premiere separates the audio from the video by default anyway, but you might get better performance if you have a seperate audio/video track But I'm just guessing- I could be completely wrong.

First of all make sure VDubMod allows VOB import (If u are using standard VDub and it does not allow VOB import get VDubMod ur chances will be much greater) I dont currently have any VOB's ripped to my PC or I would check 4U. Then I would make sure VDub is recognizing the Audio Simply by pressing play and listening, if not you'll have to find another way to extract the audio from the VOB, in which case it may be easier to find an "all-in-one" solution with another program.

If VDM recognizes both the audio and video you can either Dmux audio or just recompress the entire video w/ sound.

To recompress entire video w/ sound select Video from the main toolbar menu, you will see fast recompress & normal recompress options as well as full processing mode when u click on one you are now in that mode, I would first try fast recompress to make sure VDM will output the VOB to AVI, if it does you can later mess around with the other modes if you want to try to enhance the quality or whatever.

Now all u do is FILE>SAVE AS (dialog box pops up) at the bottom of dialog box in the VIDEO section you can choose what Codec you want to use (preferably one that Premiere likes, of course) then save.

To Demux Audio go to STREAMS>STREAM LIST here you can either Demux or save as wav, u will then want to disable that audio stream since u have a separate wav already. Proceed with video as previously described.

P.S. VDM is a basic editing tool, simple edits can be made within VDM, this is handy for reducing the size of video files B4 importing to NLE(non-linear editing) Programs for more advanced editing and effects.

12. lesstjake

lesstjake Regular member

sry i didn't actually realize vdub and vdub mod were different, i only have vdubmod

13. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

It doesn't look like it's going to work anyway, VDM let's you import it but I don't think you can export as avi. Sry

14. lesstjake

lesstjake Regular member

hmm back to the drawing board

15. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

Wait, it does work! Use full processing mode, you may need to try a few different codecs, fddshow didn't work for me but divx did, and if the audio is AC3 (5.1 surround) you will need to save audio stream as wav.

- I thought I knew what I was talking about :)

16. lesstjake

lesstjake Regular member

well if i export as divx i might as well use mpeg mediator b/c i can export to xvid, i think i need to export to dv-avi for best results in premiere

17. Suba

Suba Regular member

Hi lesstjake
    May I ask what are you trying to edit on DVD?
    If you will be little more specific may be I can suggest some other way than Premier.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  18. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

You can export to DV-AVI type2 with VDub you just need the panasonic DV codec download it from here:
    http://users.tpg.com.au/mtam/install_panvfwdv.htm

Follow the instructions to install, then the codec will be available in VDM, tried it- works great!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  19. AdRock925

AdRock925 Regular member

You can export to DV-AVI type2 with VDub you just need the panasonic DV codec download it from here:
    http://users.tpg.com.au/mtam/install_panvfwdv.htm

Follow the instructions to install, then the codec will be available in VDM, tried it- works great!

20. lesstjake

lesstjake Regular member

already have that panasonic codec, haha i was lookin for it in mpeg mediator, thanks!