1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping DVD to hard drive, compressed to a single file

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by River5150, Apr 19, 2007.

1. River5150

River5150 Member

First of all I am a total noob to ripping and converting. I have read the other posts of people having a similar issue but have yet to find an answer that works.

My employer has assigned me the task of ripping his dvd’s to hard disk to a single file that is compressed. I have been trying divx and xvid so far. Basically we need a solution that works on PC and MAC so AVI seems the best plan.

I have tried commercial and free software yet we still end up with one common issue: No fast forward or rewind when those buttons are pushed. Yes we can do this by dragging or clicking on the bar but in his eyes this is unacceptable. The issue is the same in his choice of players, Windows media player and Winamp. No changing that.

Due to the fact that I will be doing close to 4000 dvd’s I want a solution that is as simple as possible or at least not 20 steps to get it done. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

2. T1tan

T1tan Member

Well... either way its going to take time, you can rip the entire DVD into and .ISO "Hope he has a lot free TB ;)".

OR you can only rip the movie from the DVD using something like Handbrake "takes about an hour for every hour of the movie to encode to h264 "great quality small fiel size" (eg. I ripped training day which is 2hrs and 1 min long, and it came out at 1.1GB, at full res of dvd 720x480 and ac3 5.1 audio) so that was nice.

so you need lots of space and lots of time :)

3. retrotube

retrotube Member

I don't know. If you really thik about it, a 500GB external drive ($159 this week at Staples for instance) would hold about 500 movies. That's a lot of movies!

-

4. River5150

River5150 Member

Thanks Ill give handbrake a try. I think thats one I may have missed.

5. T1tan

T1tan Member

6. River5150

River5150 Member

OK tried Handbrake. Great quality, same issue.

There must be something silly and mundane that I am missing here. The problem is I don't even know what I should be looking for!

I've read a great deal of talk about key-frames and one "expert" told me to add more. Tried that and all I got was a larger file that took hours to complete and it still wouldn't fast forward.

At this point folks for ANYONE that can rip a DVD to avi (or anything compatible with MAC) where every button functions....I'd love to hear it. Super detail is not needed in your explanation. If it burps on me I will ask directly what to do at that point. Links are welcome to long drawn out proceedures as well. (Chances are Ive read them, but you never know)

Something like would be great:
    1) Rip it with this
    2) Decrypt it with this
    3) Compress it with this with these settings
    4) Kill your boss with this

Actually he is REALLY cool to work for! I just want this over with or even started because my next project is to do the same with his VHS tapes. I can hardly wait.