1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping DVD to hard drive keeps stopping around 50%

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Tezzam, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Tezzam

Tezzam Member

Hi all. I have been on the forums here for two days now trying everything.

I have been using DVD-Decrypter and Shrink for about a year with no problems. Recently I have had an issue ripping any DVD to Hard drive, even ones that used to work. It seems to be doing just fine until around the 50% mark, then my DVD Drive stops spinning and starts clicking.

At this point all ripping stops and after several retries, it says "error reading disk". I have tried multiple disks in DVD Fab HD Decrypter, RipIt4Me, AnyDVD, cleaning registry, firmware update, HD defrag, burning to different HD, nothing. The DVD drive seems to be working for everything else. Movies I have already backed up on Dual Layer DVDs work fine.

I have a LiteON LH20-A1s, SATA connection, with latest firmware, Windows XP with all updates, and my hard drive configuration is two 320gb Seagates in Raid0.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Also, it may be a little while before I am able to respond, I am heading to work and Websense doesn't like sites like this :)

2. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Must Be your Burner. Maybe time for another one.

3. Tezzam

Tezzam Member

As I said though, I was able to rip an already burned DVD to the hard drive, no problem. Also, I have recently installed software from the drive without any glitches.

4. anubiscrs

anubiscrs Member

I agree with berryone sounds like the drive is going out. I recently had a drive do the same thing and I replaced it, now everything is working perfect

5. Tezzam

Tezzam Member

Thanks for the answers. I guess I can try a new drive, although this one is only about six months old. Anybody have any other suggestions?

6. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

If it's only 6 mos old it may still be under waranty. Call the place where you got the drive, the company may replace it.

7. Tezzam

Tezzam Member

Good idea on checking the warranty for it. New Egg RMA process completed within 2 minutes of reading that post. Love those guys.

Also, I am convinced now it was the drive. My GF's new laptop was able to complete the ripping without issues using DVD Fab. Thank you for the help.