1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping DVDs For Backup To Hard Drive - Questions

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by retrotube, Apr 17, 2007.

1. retrotube

retrotube Member

I am using Magic DVD Ripper to rip my DVDs to my hard drive for backup. I am wanting a 640x480 picture with a size for an average 1:50 movie no larger than 1.5GB (smaller the better - of course).

My questions:

1. I have been using the setting for WMV9 640x480 2mbps with "CD quality audio." Is using WMV a mistake? I don't want to get too far into the process and realize I've made a mistake. I am concerned about what will play what formats a few years down the road and I figured WMV would be supported by many players - that's why I chose it. Mistake?

2. If not WMV - what should I use? With Magic DVD Ripper I have quite a few choices....VCD MPEG-1, SVCD MPEG-2, AVI (DivX, xVid), PSP, iPod. I will probably only be watching the files on a laptop, not a portable player. It sounds intriguing, but such a small screen(!)

3. I've already ripped about 20 DVDs with the Magic DVD Ripper using the WMV specs mentioned above. All without a hitch, so the program seems okay. Should I just stay with what's working - or look at another program. The choices and quality seem fine though. The specs I mentioned above (WMV 640x480 2Mbps) can rip a 2-hour movie in approximately 3 hours.

This is all pretty knew to me, so I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!
    retrotube

2. retrotube

retrotube Member

Anybody have any thoughts? I hate to go forward with the wmv rips if there are compelling reasons not to. Thanks!

-

3. T1tan

T1tan Member

when i first started ripping i used to use avi"dvix", from then i moved forward to avi"xvid", once agian i am moving forward to avi"h/x264"

I say its the way to go, i've never seen quaity that great before in such a small file size "considering i am keep the ac3 5.1 DD, and the original 720x480 resolution"

my main example is training day, a 2hr and 1 min movie encoded with h/x264, the movie came out at 1.10GB, which is quite amazing quality looked just as good as it did on DVD :)

if you google x264 you'll find programs that can rip and encode your movies for you.

4. retrotube

retrotube Member

Will we be able to play this stuff back though in 10 years? I have gone with WMV because I expect it to be supported by all players, but these newfangled codecs - do you think we're okay with that?

5. T1tan

T1tan Member

yeah, well ill tell you what, haha you can put it in a container "mkv" and thats good for life :) though i know avi wil lalways be able to be played, but if your stuck on wmv :) stay with it.