1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping DvD's into Divx

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Lush, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Lush

Lush Member

Hey if some one got's a sec to help me out

i downloaded a program that let me rip dvd's that i inserted into my dvd-rom...it work's and stuff but the files way to big
    i was wondering if there's any software or way i can compress the file so its smaller
    im a rookie at this stuff ...so if anyone can tell me or lead me in the right direction it'd help me out alot
    Thanks
    Leone

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

There are tons of guides you can choose from, but for a new person to dvd ripping Id suggest the guides from afterdawn. There are a number of things you can do with your ripped dvd such as creating a vcd or svcd to divx or xvid encoding. I find that encoding with divx or the xvid codec yield the best results. Definitely better than vcds or svcds can offer. Anyways, here is a link to the guides you can choose from:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/

If you want my opinion, try out the Gordian Knot guide out first since inmho it can give you pretty amazing results. Its a little tough to get used to in the beginning but itll get easier in the long run.

Good Luck._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is but a dream...so wake me up already!!![/small]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2003
  3. afonic

afonic Guest

Hi!
    You can try Gordian Knot but as you are new to these things, I suggest DVDx which encodes your movies in 700MB. Look at http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/ as well.
    Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2003
  4. Powa

Powa Regular member

Powerdup, can you tell me if the GordianKnot method produces better quality than the afterdawn Dvd-DivX5 16:9 Anamorphic guide???

I use the 16:9 guide atm, cos all my movies are PAL. Where can you find "expert" guides, that produce expert quality divx????

5. Lush

Lush Member

Goodlooking out Dewds.. . .
    Thanx alot

6. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Yes Gordian Knot produces better quality than afterdawn's 16:9 guide.

A Couple of Reasons:
    You use avisynth 2.5 to frameserve your movie into virtualdubmod which means you stay in the dvd's native colorspace of YV12 and thats very good for quality.

You can encode the movies credits with a lower bitrate than the movie, saving needed bits to be used for the movie.

Try out the guide at:
    http://www.doom9.org

Youll get more info about what gknot has to offer from there. Or you can use the gordian knot guide from afterdawn. __X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is but a dream...so wake me up already!!![/small]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2003