1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Ripping DVD's ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by HC1Gunner, Nov 4, 2014.

1. HC1Gunner

HC1Gunner Member

Lost my job, and with extra time on my hands, I decided to convert a bunch of my DVD sets to digital for storage and streaming. Everything has been going well, I started out with Handbrake which worked well and is free, but it only supports (2) containers MP4 and MKV, but even settings for those are still limited. I then started using AVS which gave me a lot more container options and advances settings and customization, but it was slow. I then purchased Pavtube Vide Converter Ultimate, and I really like this program as it allow the use of my PC's GPU that really speeds the chore up, has just about any container you might want, and allows you to tweak and save custom settings.

Wait a second hold everything, what the heck...
    I'm currently doing my JAG complete set S01 - S10, and I don't know who the whack job is that authored this disc for CBS. First two season where the same, each disc was named different, and I was able to use both my optical drives, then for season 3 and 4 the idiot switched, and just call every disc JAG, no disc number or nothing.

Season seven is the first season that is WS, and for season's 1 - 7 Pavtube read every disc, ripped and converted with no problem. I start on season 8 (WS) and Pavtube only see's a single small track, that is probably extras or commentary's, but not a single track for episodes. So I had to switch back to Handbrake and AVS, and they both read the disc and saw all (5) episodes.

What I'm further perplexed by is, I opened the Video TS folder straight from the disc, and there are only (4) VOB files showing @ just over 1 GB each, where is the VOB file for the 5th episode. Why all of sudden can Pavtube not read the DVD set, did they all of sudden decide to change or copy protect in a way that Pavtube cant get past. Doesn't make much since since both Handbrake and AVS see import and see all (5) episodes.

1. Where is the VOB file for the 5th episode, why are only 4 showing?
    2. Why all of sudden can Pavtube not read the disc, yet Handbrake and AVS can?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

update it
    or download dvdfab hd decrypter (last of the version 8 series) & try that,its free to rip permanently or you could try v9

personally for ripping i stick with sly soft anydvd even tho i have paid versions of dvdfab,can't tell you where to go to get a fully function non trial of fab either v8 or 9,most probably get slysoft as well

basically if it can't figure out the structure of the dvd then the program requires updating

Don't buy anymore software it's unnecessary,there's freebie alternatives at sourceforge & videohlep.com for converting

3. HC1Gunner

HC1Gunner Member

The Pavetube is up to date, but I will look into slysoft and give it try. Looking for something that supports the use of my AMD GPU as that greatly speeds the process.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

anydvd hd is a ripper only & not free,clonedvd mobile is the converter

the software's i've used for converting usually have settings for slow or fast encoding,most are set to normal,you would've seen that in handbrake

freebies
    dvdshrink - i use it to cut front & end credits off movies or episodes
    voblanker - great for those pesky series where the episode starts & has front credits after 5mins of start of episode,it can be used to cut those credits out inside the episode to make it more seamless
    bd rebuilder for bluray movie
    staxrip - convert dvd to avi
    pgc dvd editor

5. cindyci

cindyci Member