1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping from Magnavox ZV427MG9

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by joe14, May 28, 2011.

1. joe14

joe14 Member

I am trying to put video from a DVD created on a Magnavox ZV427MG9 DVD recorder on to my computer, but every ripping/converting program I have tried results in significant loss of quality. I've tried many programs that other people have recommended, WinXDVD, Handbrake, AutoGk, MagicDVDRipper, DVDFab just to name a few. When I've tried making a copy of these DVD's with DVDFab, they never work right. Is it something about the way these Magnavox machines record?

Please help. I would like to get my old home movies on to my computer. I would very much prefer a free program, but I'll pay if I have to. But I don't want to pay for a program only to find out it rips with annoying quality loss.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Ripping a DVD to the PC does not cause any loss of quality.
    What was is now on the HDD is an exact digital copy of the source DVD.
    If you convert/compress these files to a different format you will see a loss of quality.
    The best quality is what came off the DVD onto the HDD.

3. joe14

joe14 Member

Actually what I meant to say is that I'm trying to convert these to AVI or WMV or something so that I can edit them in Windows Live Movie Maker, which will not recognize the original files. It's the conversion that causes all the quality loss. If someone knows a better (easy to use and free) video editor that will recognize VOB, that would also work. While my computer has Windows 7, I am also trying to do this on a friend's computer which only has Windows XP, so the solution needs to work with XP and the old version of Movie Maker.

4. attar

attar Senior member