1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ripping large files

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by lazygig, Jun 5, 2004.

1. lazygig

lazygig Guest

Sorry if this has been posted before (I'm sure it has, but couldnt find it) but how do you rip larger files? Almost all dvd's I have are over the 4.4 gigs I was told could be ripped. It said come here to ask how to rip larger files. I'm interested in getting movie clips on my HD I can edit. (I'm reporting this from what I was told by the DVD decoder "how-to use" page) Any help greatly appreciated!
    Also, I havent tried yet, but it is very unclear-is it that you can only burn dvd's under 4.4 gigs, or can you rip em however big they are?
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]~Gig[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2004
  2. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

3. lazygig

lazygig Guest

I tried copying the dvd to my hard drive, and it worked, however, it won't play. I'm not looking to burn the copy of the dvd from the hard drive to a dvd, I just want a verison on my hard drive I can watch. The film I tried to copy was "The Big Lebowski" (which is the greatest film of all time:) and when I tried to play it on divX, it came out so it was playing very choppy, and had a green layer covering most of the picture. From what it says about dvd Shrink, it looks like it's just for burning, not copying to HD. Could someone please tell me how to watch a dvd on my HD?

Thanks anyways though, Cozza:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2004
  4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

It depends on whether you're trying to keep the size down to save drive space. If you don't care how much space it takes, the easiest and most reliable way is to use DVD Decrypter. You can use this guide: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr.cfm and ignore the size limitations. If you want to keep it as small as possible without compressing the video I'd go with DVD Shrink because you can make a movie only copy. Just make sure to set the compression to None.

5. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Hey

You can use DVD Shrink to Copy to the HDD, just select HDD Backup when u click Backup instead of ur DVD Drive.
    To play the files you will need a program like Power DVD to play them. (Windows Media Player May...)

Regards
    CoZZa

6. lazygig

lazygig Guest

This software is awesome! I think I realized what I did wrong with decrypter, I saved the wrong type of format. Dvd shrink is much better though, took ten minutes to copy to the hard drive, thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2004