1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIPPING MOVIE TO HARD DRIVE

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by megs8888, Jun 26, 2007.

1. megs8888

megs8888 Member

Im new to this stuff and want to backup my original dvd's to a hard drive.
    1. What is the quickest way to do this without losing quality? screenshots would be good?
    2. Can I reduce the movie size at all.
    3. How long should it take to copy 1 dvd to hard drive.
    4. Could I back up 10 films to a 50gb blu ray disc
    5. What would i need to do this and is it cost effective?

thanks guys for any help you can give.

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

there are a # of good rippers to rip your movie to the hard drive:

DVDDEcrypter-----old now and not kept up to date
    DVDFab HD Decrypter .... free, and kept up to date
    AnyDVD.......costs money but great ripper

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

you can reduce the movie size to fit a DVD5 with various programs, here are guides to help you along:
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/Guides.htm
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/A_F_Guides.html

it shouldn't take more than 15 mins or so to rip to hard drive!

don't know anything about Blu-ray disks....but I guess you could if you follow the guides.... if the drive recognizes it and if the programs will allow buring to Blu-ray disks.....

costs....... vary. some programs are free other's cost money but I still don't know anything about Blu-ray and what programs are good for that format and what the costs will be.

3. megs8888

megs8888 Member

thanks for your help

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

you're welcome! welcome to Afterdawn

5. NytBurnr

NytBurnr Regular member

@Ihoe

How do I rip a movie in 15 minutes. When I use AnyDVD direct to Hard Drive it is 40-45 minutes. It usually runs at 2x. Same if I use RipIt4Me with AnyDVD deactivated. This is just ripping time with RipIt4Me, not FixVTS or Shrink.

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

my computer rips DVDs to the hard drive using DVDDecrypter or DVDFab HD Decrypter, full disk in about 15mins. I have a Dell Dimension XPS Series, Intel Pentium 4 Processor, (3.73GHz,1066FSB) w/HT Technology Extreme Edition, 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 256MB ATI Radeon X850 XT PE which I love and is very fast. soooooo when asked if what time it takes to rip to hard drive..... I guess I was stating what my computer does!
    how old is your computer? mine is about 2 1/2yrs old now.

7. NytBurnr

NytBurnr Regular member

@Ihoe

I have Pentium 4, 2.40 Ghz, 1.5 Gb Ram. It is Dell Dimension series that is 4 or 5 yrs old. I don't run anything else with the ripping program. It used to be much faster, but I don't know what happened. Any ideas?

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

make sure you clean Windows by emptying the temp files and clearing the recycle bin and defragging often! that will help Windows work faster and keep your hard drive at it's best. Make sure there are no DMA issues, that will make your burners and ROMs working faster, too. I go as far as cleaning up issues and the registry which also keeps Windows working at it's best. Here, use CClean: http://www.ccleaner.com/download/ the program is free!

and if you got a new computers ...... it would rip to the hard drive before you can finish a can a soda! LOL

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  9. pieman

pieman Regular member

Thats great advice from Ihoe.When using ccleaner, dont forget to use the issues function.great bit of kit.Dont be too concerned with the time it takes to rip a disc, cos there are several variables...disc size and condition, your burner, are just three.Some of my discs are read slower than others, and i can rip the disc using the same ripper on three diff burners and get different times.As long as its a clean rip thats all that really matters.I personally use decrypter with any dvd, and ther aint one disc i cant rip.As long as theres no encryption (anydvd bypasses this)then it doesnt matter that decrypter isnt updated.Unless you want to bugger about with bd or hd.good luck

10. NytBurnr

NytBurnr Regular member

@pieman and @Ihoe

Thanks for the info...I agree that some situations make rips slower. My concern was that on the same computer the rip speed had reduced to a max of 2x.

Once again, great call on cclean.

@Ihoe

I had 632 registry errors that had to be fixed. Too many for the free version to fix, so I gladly paid the $29.95. Also, I had almost 2 Gb of junk to delete from "deleted items" folder. I can not remember the last time I defragged.......Guess What !! All is fine now.

Thanks again to both of you for your help.

11. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@NytBurnr........ keep your machine clean and mean and you'll be surprised how good your computer can do! I clean out my computer with 3 registry cleaners, a registry optomizer, the use a program that takes out all unnecessary temp files and such, and then defrag and then I use Smitfraudfix.... and I do this every other day! My machine is faster than when I bought it! I also use PC Booster which makes all the difference! I have AnyDVD + CloneDVD times from 13mins total..... to 24mins total for reading and burning times!

12. pieman

pieman Regular member

Great news.But I thought ccleaner was free???

13. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

CCleaner is free!! unless you want to donate!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  14. NytBurnr

NytBurnr Regular member

@pieman and @Ihoe

When I went to the link, I was able to download ccleaner for free, but when it told me how many errors there were, it said that was too many for this version to correct. It said I would need the "complete" version to do the repairs. Believe me...it is well worth the small amount to purchase. If I clicked the wrong download and ended up donating, that is just fine with me! That program is "worth its weight in gold" !

Thanks Again...NB

15. NytBurnr

NytBurnr Regular member

@Ihoe, I notice you are a big fan of AnyDVD and CloneDVD. I only use that combination when the movie is 85% or less compression. I use DVDRebuilderPro with CCE if 84% or less for the quality. What is your experience with AnyDVD/CloneDVD combo on longer movies? I like the idea of it not taking any where near as much time.

16. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@NytBurnr.... I use Rebuilder Pro with CCE when it's less than 80%..... but lately I used AnyDVD + CloneDVD for the Welcome Back Kotter Season one which was 70% and I still see no difference on my 52" TV! I guess I'll have to wait how it looks when I get a newer TV.

17. NytBurnr

NytBurnr Regular member

@Ihoe

I have LCD less than 1 yr old. Family members have plasmas. They rave over some of the movies I have that were done with Shrink. I did "Lord of the Rings - II Towers" with Shrink and DVDRB Pro. That is a pretty long movie. What I noticed was with Shrink, the movie was darker. I could not tell the difference between DVDRB Pro and the original. That is the only real comparison I have done. AD members suggested 85% as the cut off. I like 80% because I would not have to do so much "overnight" work.

18. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

well the best is RBPro with CCE!~ I expect nothing less!

19. NytBurnr

NytBurnr Regular member

@Ihoe

I am having more problems with ripping speed. I have a DVD Rom that is LiteOn. It will only read at 2x max for ripping. In the past, it has read much much faster for ripping (similar to BenQ discussed next). I have a BenQ 1655 burner. It will read sometimes up to 8x and more when ripping the same movie. DMA is on for both Master and Slave on Primary IDE Channel. On the Secondary IDE Channel, DMA is off on Master (LiteOn) and on for Slave(BenQ). I have never made any changes to this configuration, but weird things can happen. Could the slow read speed on the LiteOn be due to DMA issues, or do you think my LiteOn is getting tired? If it is a DMA problem, how do I fix it?

20. IHoe

IHoe Senior member