1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping .PAK files (GTA: San Adreas)

Discussion in 'Audio' started by sebiv, Oct 31, 2004.

1. sebiv

sebiv Member

Does anyone know how/what program to use to rip .PAK audio files? I'm trying to rip the radio stations from GTA: San Andreas. Unlike the previous games the radio stations are dynamic instead of one looping audio stream, so the audio fragments are grouped together in .PAK files. (I've never heard of this file extension before).

I can open them (to a degree) with the MFAudio program. They are at 24000hz but I can't get the interleave correct (they keep jumping and repeating). Whats worse is the file goes static after the first 'segment' (for example, after the first ad in adverts.pak - which is a 100mb file).

2. evilgit

evilgit Member

At least you got further than me! I can't even figure out the frequency.

I think that the files in this folder shown below are the radio stations, but which ones relate to which radio stations?
    (SAN_ANDREAS/AUDIO/STREAMS)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  3. sebiv

sebiv Member

You'll find that the two letter file names are the radio stations - BUT they are all fragmented... it will contain different aspects of the radio station (eg. different news reports.. things like that).

All of the radio ads are in ADVERTS.PAK and are played inbetween segments of the radio files.. if you get what I'm saying.

The reason for this is because of the dynamic radio stations. - Eg. I've been in a car when it started raining and the radio warned of a storm coming in. The content of the stations are "unlocked" as you progress further in the game. But if you're just after the music, go with the two letter file names (at 10000 interleave). Me, I'm after the ads >:-D

BTW - 100000 interleave will still give you beeps and studders and will only play up until the first segment finishes. Trying to find a way to rip the entire file.. anyone?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  4. lynch190

lynch190 Guest

Hey There,

Im usually down in the PS2 Backup section, I never saw this part, Can you change the soundtrack on a lot of games, or just a few?

And could someone plz take me through how to do this!

Thanks for any replys!!!

5. evilgit

evilgit Member

After spending a few minutes googling "PAK Extention," I found out that a .PAK file is just like a .ZIP Archive:

I downloaded PakScape, and tried to open the contents of a file. An error message kept on popping up. I tried to use StuffIt too, but that didn't work. Most of the ones on the internet were trying to crack open Quake files for editing, so will probably not work for San Andreas.

I will keep my eye out for any other PAK editors/expandors.

6. evilgit

evilgit Member

I'm not having much luck. :'(
    Anybody else? What about you Sebiv?

7. sebiv

sebiv Member

Nothing :-/

I think this is one of those things where some one's going to have to reverse-engineer the file structure because it must be coding specific to GTA: SA.

Unfortunately I don't have enough tech knowledge about that.

8. InDeutsch

InDeutsch Member

somebody gotta find out how to work that.
    I treid another program that does also show up an error message (PakEdit)

9. benotto04

benotto04 Member

Hi guys. I've trying to to the same as you guys, but i couldn't unpack those .PAK files.

I'll be searching to see what can i do to convert the music.

In other topic, anyone knows how to edit the files on the PS2 F1 Career Challenge, to change the helmets of the available for the Career Mode ? It will be great to use Alonso's or MSC helmet instead of the lames available to use.

10. josetjr

josetjr Member

I'm trying to put my music into the game. There's only about 5-6 songs I like in the game. I think its the worst PS2 GTA soundtrack ever. Has anyone gotten to do this yet?

11. InDeutsch

InDeutsch Member

So far, it seems nobody did. I also searched some local German sites and forums etc. Just keep this bumped, and some dude may find it out

12. recusant

recusant Member

hi everybody, im stuck in the sam place and really want to get it done. regarding the names of files, the two letter station names seem to be relevant towards that stations genre of music, ie: MR.PAK = Modern Rock = Radio X, CR.PAK = Classic Rock = K dust, etc. also i have found that using the MFaudio program, if set to mono (channels = 1) it seems to play a bit better, but it still cuts to static after a few seconds.

13. recusant

recusant Member

well, i have just found that altering the offset (in hex of course, thanks rockstar) makes it play a different part of the file, if thats any use
    i changed the offset on MR.PAK from 1F64 (d) to 1F6500 (e), and got... sage to say something different.

14. InDeutsch

InDeutsch Member

what exactly does offset mean?

15. steo666

steo666 Guest

recusant WROTE (Newbie) 9. November 2004 @ 05:55
    well, i have just found that altering the offset (in hex of course, thanks rockstar) makes it play a different part of the file, if thats any use
    i changed the offset on MR.PAK from 1F64 (d) to 1F6500 (e), and got... sage to say something different.

DOES it WORK correctly???

16. recusant

recusant Member

yeah, it worked
    normally it played her talking about "public service crap" or something along those lines, and when i changed the offset, she was saying "im sage..... i cant even remember my last name" etc. before it cut out at about 30 seconds. it should also be noted that i have basically no idea what i am doing, im just playing around with it at this stage

17. steo666

steo666 Guest

which program du u use? Mfaudio?

Do u have a guide or a walktrough ( the web address?)

Sorry 4 my english, I'm ITALIAN.

Thanks

18. recusant

recusant Member

19. steo666

steo666 Guest

Yeah, the same i own it.

Just 2 questions 4 u:
    1) Did you only
    "changed the offset on MR.PAK from 1F64 (d) to 1F6500 (e)" ???

b) Have u tried for others Radio stations?

c) have u comments or suggestions?

thanks a lot

20. recusant

recusant Member

well i think i may have fiddled with the interlace as well, and done some trails in mono (channels = 1).so far i have only really played with MR.PAK so far, but as far as i can see the others should be the same. i really cant give any advice, because i dont know whats going on myself, all i can say is fiddle around, and if you find anything, post it up!