1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping Robot

Discussion in 'Buy stuff' started by bmannz, Apr 23, 2008.

1. bmannz

bmannz Member

Looking for a usb ripping robot - have seen them in china - cant find them anywhere - these are a simple plastic device that connects via usb to a pc with one source and one destination stack - they drop premade dvd's into the tray for ripping or blanks into the tray for burning. Also known as autoloaders, the cheapest I have seen are 500$US - anyone know of a cheaper option or have an old one for sale???

2. bhoar

bhoar Member

Yeah, they're made by datatronics and are sold in the US and europe under the following names:

Datatronics Minicubis
    MF-Digital Baxter
    Discmakers Pico
    Acronova DupliQ
    Mediatechnics Fusion X
    Stordigital 25
    Ripstation MT1

And all of the above work great with the alpha/beta/release-candidates of dbpoweramp R13.

The Discmakers Forte (aka Vinpower's "The Cube" and probably shortly under several other names) is a new one which sells for a bit cheaper at $500. Don't know if there's any ripping software for that yet.

-brendan

3. bhoar

bhoar Member

Note: with respect to DVDs instead of CDs...if you're outside of the US, Ripfactory's mediagrabber dvd ripping software works with some of the above robots, IIRC.

-brendan

4. bmannz

bmannz Member

Thats the one - cheers mate! the datatronics was on show at CES a year or so back. I just saw a RIMAGE RAS6 for $298 on ebay - wonder if that can be put to work for ripping to hdd rather than duplication?

5. bhoar

bhoar Member

For CDs, I'm developing code that works with dbpoweramp (see the beta subforum on the dbpoweramp site) for any serial-attached robots. Haven't tried with a RAS6, don't know if it is serial controlled (can do) or scsi/firewire controlled (no can do).

As far as I am aware, there are only a couple of commercial DVD ripping programs out there that use robots to rip DVDs and none of them are sold to the US market* for legal reasons.

-brendan

* other than Kaleidescape's Speed Ripper, of course, since they ended up lucking out in the court case with their licensing situation...

6. bhoar

bhoar Member

I meant, of course "Keleidescape Speed Reader", not "Speed Ripper".

7. bhoar

bhoar Member

And of course spelled correctly, that would be "Kaleidescape Speed Reader".

(sorry about the multiple postings, next time I promise I'll take advantage of the Preview system since I can't edit after I post)

-brendan