1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping SACD to MP3

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by sstory, Jan 16, 2007.

1. sstory

sstory Member

Hi all,

A bit of a newbie (on this subject anyway) maybe somebody could help.

I have a number of SACD discs & want to rip to my mp3 player.

A couple of questions:

01) is it possible to rip from sacd to mp3?
    02) will there be any noticable difference in sound quality?

Thanks everybody !

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

1 - Only by manually recording the 6 channel (or 2 channel) output from the analogue outputs of the player to a computer. You cannot rip SACD, as there were never any software players & you cannot buy a software DSD decoder.
    2 - What do you honestly think?
    MP3 is a seriously bad compacted format that from CD resolution of 1536kb/sec tosses out 11/12 of the audio. From SACD, the degradation will be truly appalling.

3. sstory

sstory Member

So if I ripped the 2 channel mix, it wouldn't be any different to the normal cd version?

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

That depends.
    Firstly, you cannot rip even the stereo from an SACD, but you may be able to rip the redbook layer if it is a hybrid SACD.
    As to this being "different" to the CD version, if it is the redbook layer, odds are quite high it is actually worse than the original CD as there are lots of cases where the redbook layer in hybrid SACD is made to sound worse so the SACD stereo sounds better, if you follow me.

But this is all academic, as you cannot rip the DSD streams from an SACD, be they stereo or multichannel. Only the redbook, and even then, not always.