1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ripping speed issues

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by docgspot, Aug 5, 2003.

1. docgspot

docgspot Member

Hello all.

Ive read through a lot of the posts on this site relating to the above issue. several have came close to answering the issues. my pioneer writer used to rip dvd's at 6-12 speed. now im lucky to get 2.5. the only change ive made!!!! upgrading the whole system i had before. Now im a computer technician. ive done all the bios updates checked the dma etc etc and i cannot resolved the issue. One member mentioned that their are locks put onto drives to stop the ripping speed being higher then this now. however it was running fine before the upgrade. the system has gone from a athlon 350 to a 2800, wiv sata etc and a fast graphics card. so i just cant understand whats happened. has anyone got any ideas.

Thanks,

Glenn

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Now, when you say you've checked the DMA settings, does that mean it's on? If so, have you tried putting it back into PIO mode?

For some unknown reason sometimes DMA ends up working faster, sometimes PIO works better.

3. docgspot

docgspot Member

yeah dma is set on. ive tried several combinations of drive placings too. ide 0 and 1 master and slave none of it seems to make any difference. ive yet to call asus about the board itself. Ill give pio a chance its the only thing i havent tried. i thought they may have put something in the pioneers 105's bios to slow it down. as i read that the manafactures had capped them. its just very strange that on my older much slower machine it was so much faster. Any other ideas would be appreciated. i guess i should be used to these sort of unusual issues after 13 years in the technical trade. but its another new one on me.

Just rebooted and tried pio, only got 1.5x annoyin to say the least. im grassping at straws here._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Doc[/small]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2003
  4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

My friend also just updated to a athalon 2500, with an asus motherboard, and a pioneer 105 and is having the same problem with ripping. He sent in for a new motherboard, but it didn't help.

5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Oh yeah, also do you have the latest hacked firmware in the drive to unlock the ripping speed? PS my computer is only a 600mhz and it too is a lot faster at ripping than anybody i know with a better computer. Makes me wonder weather to upgrade to a 2700 or not.

6. docgspot

docgspot Member

no i havent got the hacked firmware. to be honest i dont know where to look. And as for the upgrade well....ive hardly used the power due to this issue. i want it for video editing as well but this is causin more issues at the momment. i really hope somoeone can find the fix

7. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

8. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I didn't know that larger machines or better graphics cards made any difference to ripping speeds anyway - surely it's down to the drive specs? Maybe the upgraded firmware may help. Also you are not using DVD Shrink to rip by any chance are you? I only mention this because the latest version rips at much slower rates anyway regardless of the drive, though the quality is better.

9. docgspot

docgspot Member

No im using dvd dcrypter and dvd2one. The only reason i mentioned the spec was basically down to the hange in hardware that i made.The older machine was better. The firmware patch has helped thanks.

stil think theirmaybe issues we don know about. maybe the manafactures have got to gether to do something in the bios too. or maybe even something in windows itself, all those upgrade patches.

we will see. its now ripping between 4.5 and 6 so thats much better

10. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Thats about what mine rips at also.

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Around 5-6 is pretty decent for ripping a disc with.