1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping Speed with new DVD Decrypter

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sirmugen, Jan 7, 2005.

1. sirmugen

sirmugen Regular member

Is anyone having ripping speed problem with new DVD Decrypter v3.5.2.0. I use to be able to rip at 2X and now its only ripping at 1.6x - 1.7x... It is also taking alot of system resource, I use to be able to run DVD Decrypter and DVD2One at the same time. Now if I do that, DVD2One take about 210min for full compression when it use to take 20min. This started happening since I upgraded DVD Decrypter to new version.

Can anyone help me

sirmugen

2. dek74

dek74 Member

yep, i see the same thing. terribly slow compared to ripping at 10x. i'm going back to the older verion.

3. Pontistv

Pontistv Member

Hey, I am having the same thing and after about 200 movies and tons of upgrades and testing on my computer, Im sure the problem must be Decrypter. I had everything else scienced out bigtime. Im going back to the last version if this isn't fixed with a new one. I'll post my results later.

4. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Is this just with ripping, or have you seen a slowdown in burning? Have you checked your DMA setting lately?

5. LostDude

LostDude Member

Ripping speeds I've encountered with my laptop varies with each dvd which is very low, about 1.6x. PS2 games, on the other hand give me full ripping speed. Any theories? System is Compaq Presario 2560AI with Sony DVD+RW DW-P50A.

My Desktop doesn't have any problems.

6. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

DVD Decrytor takes a little longer to rip your movie because it has to deal with the new encrytion that the movie industry is using now on the disks. If you go back to the older version then you will have problems with the new movies that use bad sectors as part of their copywrite Protection.

7. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

This may help speed up DVD Decrypter ripping in some cases, not all. Go to: Tools - Settings - I/O - Options - Check "Set Read Speed" - Read Speed set to "Max"

8. Pontistv

Pontistv Member

The only speed problem I have had is with ripping since upgrading to the new version. I tried checking the set speed box, which highlights "MAX". Then I leave it at max. Believe it or not, this made an immediate and large difference. You guys try it and let me know if it worked for you too. I assumed that because it already said MAX (unhighlighted) that I didn't need to play with that setting. I was wrong. Went from starting at 2X to starting at 5X. However, this was after I switched back to 3.5.1.0. Now I wish I had tried that with 3.5.2.0! Maybe it wouldn't have been so slow.

Burning speeds were never affected. I triple checked my DMA. It's fine. I know dual layer movies, some more than others, are much slower than the cheapy single layer movies. But I used to average 12 minutes on dual layer and it went to 20 with 3.5.2.0. Now that I switched back, Im back to 12 average again. Someone please try clicking the set speed box and leaving it at MAX and let me know if it speeds up your (exact same) movie!

9. sirmugen

sirmugen Regular member

I did laddyboy's suggestion and it went up to 1.8X but not to the norm of what I had it before of 2X.

For some reason, I went back to the older Decrypter and still same 1.8X

Oh well, I'm using shrink for now with my new DVD ROM that doesn't work with Decrypter and it rips and compress at the same time in 30 min. I'll only use Decrypter with discs that error out with Shrink on my burning drive.

Thanks guys for all your help

sirmugen

10. Pontistv

Pontistv Member

Sirmugen,

You shouldn't be limited to 2X, and especially less. Look for a thread called High Tech Discussion on Slow Ripping Speeds. We talked about a lot of stuff in there that may help you. In short, I would check DMA in your controller properties, check DMA in your BIOS (if its in there), and be aware of the fact that most drive manufacturers go along with the movie industrys request to lock protected rips at 2X (to aggrevate rippers). My Plextor drive does not lock, but many do. Especially burners, but not so much with roms it seems. Try ripping something that's not protected and see if your rip speeds go up. If they do, you're fighting the 2X lock from the factory. That's easy to cure too. Just find hacked firmware for your drive. A search on the net should find some. Usually drives that run at almost exactly 2X suffer from that. Drives that are slow, but exceed 2X are more likely to be a DMA problem. Make sure you aren't using a drive on the same channel of the controller at the same time as youre ripping, or the controller will bounce between the two drives (ie don't rip and burn at the same time, if using the same controller for both drives). I am able to, because I bought a PCI IDE controller and run my rom off of it, leaving the secondary channel of the mobo to the burner alone. This is the ONLY way to 'copy on the fly' or rip and burn at the same time, without bad consequences. Hope this helps. Check out that thread!

11. sirmugen

sirmugen Regular member

Pontistv

My drive is 2 and a half years old, I was burning DVD when there was no DVD2One and Shrink, you had to just take the movie only or spilt it into 2 disc. My drive has always ripped at 2X, that is what the specs says and yes I did check DMA. Its just after the install of the latest Decrypter, it has slowed down to 1.7X and when I checked the preference of Decrypter to read MAX, it went up a whooping 1.8X. I guess I'll just live with it for now, until Dual Layer Disc becomes cheaper and I can buy a new burner.

Thanks again Pontistv

sirmugen

Thanks again

12. Pontistv

Pontistv Member

Sirmugen,

Is your drive only rated to read at 2X? I figured even old drives read faster than that. If you won't part with the hundred bucks it takes to buy a new Plextor 16X DL burner (my recommendation), or you're happy with the burning speed of your drive (just not the read speed), then my other suggestion is spend $30 on a rom. I tried several different roms and cd burner/dvd rom combos, as well as my Plextor 12X drive and the second fastest ripper of all of them was my Liteon 16X dvd-rom. SOHD-167T I think is the part number. New egg, $30. The liteons are cheaper drives, but they are fast and there's plenty of hacked firmware out there. It actually ripped one of my disks (w/ decrypter) at 16.6X peak speed once on a single layer movie. Its actually faster on single layers than my Plextor in ripping, but the Plextor owns all of them on dual layer ripping. It also has been coaster free for over 200 movies. Great drive. Hope this helps.

13. sirmugen

sirmugen Regular member

Pontistv

That is what I did, I bought a ROM that rips faster, only problem is that it doesn't work with Decrypter:(, Shrink seems to be fine, I ask the Lighting UK (author of Decrypter) and he said that my particular ROM, doesn't work well with Decrypter.

So right now, most movies rips fine with Shrink, only the new protected movies will be riped with my burner and Decrypter.

sirmugen

14. Pontistv

Pontistv Member

Seems strange that a particular brand doesn't work well with software... but he would know. I say put the money into a good burner, since its the most out-of-date hardware in the group. What brand rom do you have?

15. sirmugen

sirmugen Regular member

Yeah, going to buy a dual layer burner later, but for now.... its ok.

I bought a Sony DVD-ROM DDU1621

sirmugen

16. LostDude

LostDude Member

<-- There goes your problem right there.

17. sirmugen

sirmugen Regular member

LostDude

I realize that now, but the deal was cheap, oh well live and learn.

sirmugen

18. TaylorSPL

TaylorSPL Guest

Changing it to MAX sped it up to 16x on dvd-5 but on dvd-9 it still only reads at 8x. Is this normal for dvd-9?

19. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I believe it flows this way:

Tools
    Settings
    I/O
    Device
    (In Options Select) "Set Read Speed"
    Read Speed "Max"
    OK

20. LIGHT_UK

LIGHT_UK Member

Just uninstall your IDE ATA Controller in device manager and reboot. (Notice I said Controller and not Channel(s) - remember to uninstall the Controller!!!)

XP will drop your drive into PIO mode when reading lots of errors in a row. Nothing I can do about it, sorry! It will also probably still say it's using DMA mode if you look at it, but trust me, it isn't!

The above will fix it and put you back in DMA mode again.

The program would never be released with a speed decrease issue such as that between versions. We do test it a fair bit you know ;)