1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ripping the bourne identity (dvd layer 9)

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by perl, Jan 30, 2003.

1. perl

perl Guest

How would I go about ripping this dvd into 1 dvd-r or 2 dvd-r's? It's size is around 7gb.
    I have not yet seen any guides worth reading, they are all either distorted or choppy video quality or stuttering screens.
    Any guide suggestions?

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

yep, u must not have heard yet.

Buy DVD2ONE at www.dvd2one.com.
    It will strip out unwanted stuff and fit it on 1 dvdr.

Check out dvd2one post in THIS forum for further details

3. perl

perl Guest

What are the pros and cons of this program? How's the quality and sound of the video?

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

People r saying that the quality is crap but the audio is as the original 5.1/dts.
    However the 'crap' statements seem to be from people that do re-encode with CCE etc.

The tests that I have carried out are VERY pleasing to me and worth it.

Green mile
    pearl harbor
    what women want
    bad company
    any given sunday
    armageddon

The above I have recently done ALL to 1 dvdr.
    I have only a 28" widescreen tv and seperate decoder/amplifier system.

I can see a slight reduction in quality but I mean slight - face up to the screen slight.

My decoder detects the audio as 5.1 or dts and sounds as the original.great effects(armageddon especially).

All these were done on 1x dvd-r and the whole process from rip to burn took 2 hrs.
    Just tried some 2x discs which worked well and cut the processs to 1 1/2 hrs.

Personally I have not got the pc specs to re-encode (1.1g cpu,384Mb ram) and would cost me to upgrade.
    Also I do not have the time for re-encoding and 2 hrs. max is tops.

I do recommend this software and for £47 I do not think you could beat it time wise.

To sum up.
    Video quality - slight difference from original BUT ONLY SLIGHT.
    Audio quality - same as the original.
    Overall opinion - Quick,easy great results.

Hope you have been convinced.

5. mrmojo448

mrmojo448 Member

You know guys,

Just my 2 cents, but I read all the good opinions and went out and bought DVD2ONE - (Anything you truly use and find useful, should be supported 100%!!)

I used it first on one of my favorites - Seven (one I hate lending out especially)

It worked GREAT, after I figured out a folder problem I was having with the burn. The quality is so near the original, Im not sure I could tell them apart if you showed them both to me. One of the reasons for this could be that I am not using a progressive scan DVD player along side an HDTV. If this was the case - THAN I might be able to see some loss of quality. I would love to do that test and see if I can still tell no difference. Even on the computer - (Which has better resolution than HDTV) I cannot tell a differnce.

I dont think that DVD-Roms take advantage of Progressive scan technology, Does anyone know? Anyway, Rant over, I just wanted throw my support in for this great product (and well worth the $40 purchase price)....

Mojo

6. JIZNICE

JIZNICE Guest

with dvd2one, on your burnt copy of the movie, does it make a image file and then you burn it to disk or what.

7. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

No, dvd2one just processes the ripped video to fit to one dvd5, to avoid any legal problems other(free) programs must be used to copy a(protected) dvd to the hard drive. Then you must use your own burner.

8. jack11

jack11 Member

i was useing smartripper then rempeg (with some) then spruceup then prassi to burn with about 75% ok and takeing from 6 hours to over night . but then a found dvd2one an life be came much easer. now from smartripper to dvd2one to prassi takes about2 hours

9. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I guess I have a (very) fast PC orso, because the whole process from DVDdecrypter, DVD2one to DVD+r with Nero takes about 45 to 50 minutes (even with Green Mile (181min) and Lord of the Rings (178min)...)
    Also the quality of these 2 movies is still great...knowing that DVD2one compressed it from about 7gb to 4.36gb !!!

It's a miracle !!

10. kof33

kof33 Member

I couldnt disagree more the quality loss is very noticeable.

It reallyu comes into play in dark scenes. I tried signs and it looked poor considering many scenes are dark.

I have 27' and could notice it right away.
    The sound the is def fantastic.

Try it out and see for yourself on an rw preferably though.

11. memcco

memcco Regular member

DVD2one is fantastic. i have backed up 43 movies to date using it with not one problem. i do not want menus...just the movie, have a 31 inch tv and cannot notice any difference in quality from the original. just can't understand why others say they can notice a difference in quality. i have backed up gladiator, harry potter, braveheart, saving private ryan, and quite a few others that are over 2 1/2 hours with no noticeable difference in quality on my large screen tv....i really cannot see a difference from the original.

the only thing i can think of is they are using cheap media or are doing "other" things on their computer while the process is taking place. if that's not the case, try more ram or get a better computer. i'm using xp home, 1.5 gig processor, 512 ram.

i highly recommend DVD2one! mike

Last edited: Mar 2, 2003
  12. kof33

kof33 Member

Im using a 1700 -xp pro - 256 ram and maxell dvd+r.
    I close everything down and have about 180-195 ram free when i start.

When doing a movie with menus and such the quality loss is VERY noticable. With a movie only its not as bad but there def a loss.

Take aloog at scense which are dark and theres only a small source of light or as it gets brighter gradually theres alot of drop in smoothness.

Im a a/v home theater type guy so maybe its just me nitpicking.

13. memcco

memcco Regular member

roflamo....nitpicking....you must be one of those perfectionists.....that's cool....but i really don't see any difference in quality on my 31 inch screen..at least not yet....just watched saving private ryan...2 hr and 49 minute movie on 1 dvd....absolutely perfect quality....it looks identical to the original. maybe im getting too much sex and it's affecting my eyesight. ltr, mike

14. malum

malum Regular member

the power of the PC has no bearing on the quality of the end product.
    Neither does the media really, being digital it either works or it doesn't. Bad media leads to freezing and total breakdown of the picture not to a loss of quality.

I have tried DVD2one on two DVDs thus far the first was Minority Report where the difference in quality was immediately noticeable the background took on a shimmer that was very annoying. The original is IMHO not the greatest quality anyway as it is very washed out and grainy.
    This put me off trying anything else, the other one I tried was Roger Waters In the Flesh Live which is 172 minutes long and I didn't really care about the video quality on it ,it came out very pixellated in places, sometimes the smoke looked like big square blocks.

I have a 36" TV and a high end player. It is possible that on a cheap player the quality of the output is such that you wouldn't notice any difference. Another major reason I wouldn't use it routinely is that if I upgrade to a projector I want the best possible quality.

I would have no problem using DVD2one to reduce a film that is a couple of hundred MB over the limit but that's about it. Anything else I just leave overnight with CCE, I am in no great hurry. Even CCE has it's limits, Dances with Wolves came out very bad and I had to split it to two.

15. memcco

memcco Regular member

my player is a sony, 5 disc, $178. i too did dances with wolves.......no pixelation. it's vertually identicle. minority report the same...this is very interesting. i soon will be buying a much larger tv.plasma at least 42"...then i'll know for sure.

16. malum

malum Regular member

On Dances with Wolves it wasn't pixellation it was a lack of coherence in scenes with fast movement. I've never seen any pixellation with CCE.

It's a matter of what you notice and what annoys you. If you don't notice then it's fine, once you do notice then it's very apparent and just makes watching anything annoying.

I imagine that it's similar to listening to music on a japanese all in one system and thinking it sounds good until you hear the same piece on a quality separates system made by Linn or some other quality manufacturer (preferably British :) )

Until you hear the second system the first sounds fine.

I am watching on an Arcam DV88, which I'm sure you won't have heard of over there :)

17. zeionez

zeionez Member

I have done a ton of movies with dvd2one and most of the movies for me over 6 gig were coming out horrible then i would loan it to one of my friends who happens to have the same tv {36 XBR hdtv ready) and he would say they looked fine, I couldnt understand how we had such a difference in opinion so I went to his house and watched The Ring which to me looked pretty bad but at his house it actually looked fine!!! I was pissed off and went home and started playing with all the settings im my home theater and I found the culprit. He doesnt have a progressive scan dvd player and I do, I switched the dvd player into interlaced mode and found the backed up movies that looked horrible in progressive scan mode, to look absolutly fine in interlaced mode. So I think thats why there is such a difference in opinions when it comes to the quality of dvd2one encoded movies. Anyone who thinks these movies look bad and has a progressive scan player should turn the progressive feature off and then judge the movie and I bet alot of opinions would change