1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ripping to (?) format question

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by DSub, Nov 17, 2007.

1. DSub

DSub Member

Hello. 1st post. Read around and didn't quite see what I'm looking for. This may be the wrong forum. If so I apologize.

I have a big DVD collection of MMA fights, approximately 150 dvds. I am planning on building an HTPC and have some storage concerns.

I currently have a 750gb SATA2 drive in my desktop. All media is/will be stored on this for now. I have started to rip my fight collection to the hard drive using DVD Decrypter, but I am now considering space/usage concerns. Each title is 4gb or so. I'd like to reduce that some.

SO:
    1)What format is solid to encode to? DivX? Xvid? WMV?
    I want to be able to keep chapter references when present. Is DivX or Xvid "good enough" quality? I'm not all huge on the HD thing...just want GOOD "passable" quality with little evidence of compression.

2)what format is "easiest" to re-encode to DVD? Say if I have everything on disk (and have let go of the hard copies as I plan to do) and want to make a portable copy, what is my best bet?

Im sure these questions have been answered before, and I'll probably be ignored for asking them again :)

2. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

iam not sure for divx codec
    and also iam not into wmv/divx
    but i can suggest u one thing

since those are 4g like u said
    did u try using dvdshrink
    or dvdfab
    thats what iam usung
    so that way i get choose

what lang i want
    subtitles i want