1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping to HD versus DVD Rom to DVD R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kotiza, Apr 5, 2005.

1. kotiza

kotiza Member

Curious for the experts out there what is the best way about burning DVD's. What are the pro's/con's to ripping a DVD to the HardDrive and then burning versus going from DVD Rom to DVD R? It seems that ripping it to the HD takes a long time with Shrink, is there anything faster? Going from DVD Rom to DVD R seems to be best way together assuming you don't (and I haven't) get any buffer errors, am I right? Please let me know.

Thanks

2. jfk329

jfk329 Guest

The best way that has worked for me is to rip the DVD w/ DVD decypter, (in file mode) encode those files w/ DVD shrink, then burn w/ NERO. Media plays a big role. Its important to use decent media. Verbatim, Sony. I also run ANYdvd in the back ground for the harder back ups.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Even though you may think your going directly from DVD ROM to DVD writer in all actuality the program you are using is more than likely copying your files to the hard drive first into a temp folder. I can't think of a proggy that doesn't do this right off the top of my head? If your looking for speed and still fairly good quality then you may want to give CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD a try. They are probably the fastest combo out there right now.

4. kotiza

kotiza Member

Thanks for the quick replies. Guess I need to do a little experimenting to figure out what is best. I'll experiment a little more. Also, can DVD burners burn XBOX games? If so, could you direct me to a good link to research.

Thanks

5. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

Depending on how much memory you have and the speed of your processor, the more compression on the movie the longer it takes to run threw shrink. I prefer to rip with dvd decrypter and compress with shrink, Shrink seems to run faster pulling files off HD rather than disk. DVD rom to DVD R first the disk has to be decrypted, if your trying to make a copy of a copy you could do disk to disk copy on the fly. Your going to need lots of memory and processor to do this.

Good Luck

Spacedust