1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping to just computer

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by weapon_X, May 1, 2003.

1. weapon_X

weapon_X Member

i would like to know if ripping programs can just rip to ur computer? are ripping programs only desgined for ripping to burn? and if so is there a special term for ripping to the computer? (soz if this has been covered before. theres so many topics to trawl thru tho)

2. LuNaTiC

LuNaTiC Guest

When you rip a DVD you are saving it to your computer. From there you can do whatever you want to it, burn it, edit it, or just play it from your computer.

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Yep lunatic is correct.

The term 'ripping'

A dvd contains encrypted keys - these keys prevent straight forward copying, so we need to decrypt the keys and remove them in order for a pc to copy them, when this process is complete you have everything on the dvd EXCEPT the encyption - you can then manipulate the information/remove bits/re-burn.

Suggested ripping programs:
    dvd decrypter
    smartripper
    These programs will remove the encryption (known as css)and put them on your hd for your attention.

4. weapon_X

weapon_X Member

thanks for the info =)

5. rparks3

rparks3 Member

Have used DVD Decrypter to decrypt "Blood Work" to the hard drive. Then tried to use DVD2One to compress this movie. Then burned to DVD+RW. The movie does not work on the computer or a stand alone DVD player. Tried to play the decrypted files from the HD and the burned copy also. Does not play. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Also tried using DVD Shrink to the HD. Then copied to DVD+RW. Files on computer or files on DVD+RW do not play. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

6. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Let's just cover a couple of bases:

All the files are in a folder called: VIDEO_TS
    You've also created an empty folder called: AUDIO_TS

Also make sure you use the CAPS and the underscore.

7. rparks3

rparks3 Member

No, I created one folder called Blood Work only.

8. rparks3

rparks3 Member

I just renamed the folder from "Blood Work" to VIDEO_TS and added a folder called "AUDIO_TS" and the movie plays on the computer. Do I have to have these empty folders before I decryt the DVD? Or will they work if I reburn the DVD? Thanks.

9. rparks3

rparks3 Member

I must have missed some things in the guide. Now, how do I burn the DVD? Do I copy just the info in the VIDEO_TS folder to the DVD? or do I have to include the info in the AUDIO_TS folder as well. Sounds like too much for a disc.

10. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Now we're cooking!

I create the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS before I start ripping, but that's just me. As long as you have them before you start to burn you are OK.

Now just copy those two folders; VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS onto a DVD using a burning program like Nero, Roxio, or RecordNow. That should work in your stand alone player. (assuming of course you stand alone supports DVD-R's.)

If you just want to test it you might want to use a DVD-RW. That way if you make a mistake you can try again.

11. rparks3

rparks3 Member

I just copied the VIDEO_TS folder (Only)to a DVD+RW disc and it plays on the computer. Tried to add the AUDIO_TS and there was not enought space. I have not tried to play the DVD on the standalone DVD play as it is in my wife's car at work. I will try in a few minutes. Thanks again, I am getting closer.

12. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

There shouldn't be any problems with the space for the AUDIO_TS folder because the folder should be [bold]empty.[/bold]

If for some reason it still says there isn't enough space, re-do it with DVD2one and drop the size down by 1 meg. I think the default is 4464; just drop it down a bit. (I can't tell you for sure because I'm at work.)

13. rparks3

rparks3 Member

I think it must have copied the AUDIO_TS files when I copied the VIDEO_TS folder, because the audio works on the computer. The final test is on the DVD player when my wife comes home.

14. rparks3

rparks3 Member

Ken0042, Have you tried using DVD Shrink vs DVD Decrypter and DVD2One to save a step? Obviously, I am a very green Newbie. Trying to learn the ropes.

15. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

All of the audio does sit inside the VIDEO_TS folder. I'm not entirely sure why this works the way it does, but it does.

Let us know what happens once your wife comes home.

16. rparks3

rparks3 Member

Back to the drawing board on playing the DVD+RW on my stand alone DVD player. The DVD plays on the computer, but not the stand alone DVD player. Any suggestions?

17. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Make sure it's compatable by checking here: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

To answer your other question, I have used DVD Shrink, I just find the other way works a little better for getting a movie down to size. DVD Shrink is what I use for my episodal discs.

18. rparks3

rparks3 Member

I have a Sony DVP-NS300 DVD player that is listed to support DVD+R and +RW media. I am currently copying both folders Video and Audio) to a DVD+RW now.

19. rparks3

rparks3 Member

I tried to copy both folders to the DVD+RW and they still would not fit. I used DVD Shrink originally to decrypt and compress Blood Work to the hard drive. Any more suggestions?

20. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

You must not be compressing them down far enough. (This is why I use DVD2one.) Make sure the final total is less than 4.35 GB, or 4454 MB.

The folder it creates stuff to should be called VIDEO_TS. Nothing should go into the AUDIO_TS folder.

Right click on each of the folders and tell me what it says for size.