1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ripping to mp3

Discussion in 'Audio' started by mark&dawn, Mar 31, 2005.

1. mark&dawn

mark&dawn Member

is it possible to take a song from a normal cd and convert it into mp3 format? if so is there any software which i can download '(free)' on the internet?

please advise, sorry if this has been asked before i have had a look but couldnt see!

regards

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

No full CAPS for thread title [for reason why see Forum Rules].
    Also there was no need to add like 10 question marks on the end of thread title either , so please think about what youy're doing as I dont want to have to edit everything you post [gets right boring].

1st Google return [for 'free cd ripper'] : http://www.cdripper.com-http.com/order.html

3. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

4. mark&dawn

mark&dawn Member

im sorry herbsman i didnt realise and i should have read the rules, once again many i apologise.

5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

google for
    cdex

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

7. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

No problem mark&dawn ... didn't mean any offence by my comments (I'd had a lot of moving/editing of various threads to do that day).

I've used CDex as a CD ripper for quite a while , but a good option is to learn the 'lossless' method depending on what software is free of course.
    Exact Audio Copy with LAME plugin is a good choice :)

8. Rushman1

Rushman1 Member

Heardsman..What do you mean by Lossless M? Maybe keep it in a waw format to avoid the loss of quaility when you convert to MP3?

9. djscoop

djscoop Active member

MP3 and WMA are called lossy formats, meaning that when compressed they lose sound quality. Lossless formats like FLAC maintain their original quality when compressed.

10. flyingcat

flyingcat Guest

maybe your should use a cd ripper. i recommend you to try imtoo cd ripper, it can Extract CD tracks to MP3, WAV, WMA, APE etc. find it here [removed]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2006
  11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

12. djscoop

djscoop Active member

that Imtoo software doesn't look very good. On top of that it costs money. Stick with what was mentioned above...EAC (exact audio copy) its free and hands down the best ripper there is

13. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Why do people push rippers that cost money when there are so many excellent freeware rippers around?

14. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I've seen flyingcat plug it on another thread too...maybe he either really likes it or is part of the imtoo company

15. diabolos

diabolos Guest

That's exactly what I hoped to imply...

16. retro78

retro78 Member

17. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

This is a quote from that website:

"This download may includes adware (and spyware) software."

Sorry but any freeware site that has that disclaimer means that their software is crap.

Last time I checked EAC didn't have ad/spyware in it

18. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yea freeRip is good but its loaded with adware and spyware. I used it before dMC, AfterDawn, and my knowlege of what adware and spyware could do to a persons PC. You know back in the K++ days...

Ced

19. ahtiu

ahtiu Member

Thanks for the comment on FreeRip
    I tried to read a little about the contains of spyware:
    This i copyed from the version history on FreeRip:
    Version 2.60 (2004-02-09)
    Now FreeRIP is a full FREEWARE product - no more registered version available, no more graphic banners
    Now all users can disable splash screen and Amazon links at will
    Added a "Support us" window that appear on a periodic basis (user can disable it at will)

I also searched the FreeRip on-line knowledge base and found this under FAQ's:
    Question: Why does FreeRip mp3 try to connect to the internet a lot. I’ve heard rumours that the program has spyware embedded in it and would like to be able to explain this....
    Answer: FreeRIP does NOT contain spyware.
    It just tries to connect to the freedb.org web site to download CD tracks titles.
    If this disturb you, you can easily disable this function by unchecking the "Search freedb automatically" option in the "Network and freedb" page of the settings windows (menu CD->Options).
    FreeRIP, from Version 2, also contains an embedded browser that, when you are connected to the Internet, shows banners. If you don't like this, you can purchase a registration code that let you disable the banners and all the advertising.

So to me it is a harmless piece of software.