1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping using DVD Burner doing harm?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Templer!, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Templer!

Templer! Member

I am currently using my Pioneer A06 to rip dvds. Despite the fact that it rips at 2x, and has problems with scratched discs, it is a very reliable. But, if I constantly use it to rip, then burn, would the life expectancy of my drive drop? Should I use it only for burning?
    I am planning on buying a DVD-Rom dedicated to ripping dvds soon anyway, just something I was considering. I used my old CDR/DVD combo drive for all my cd purposes, but it died after 8 months (probably because it was a samsung).

2. Tosca

Tosca Guest

Well yeah...

Go with a dvd rom to rip. Faster.

3. Templer!

Templer! Member

Thank you for almost answering my question.

4. Tosca

Tosca Guest

Always glad to be of no help whatsoever.

At least I didn't razz ya for such a silly query.

"Hey mechanic, if I drive my car over a pot hole several time a day, would that mess up the car?"

"Nah, it's fine, as long as you keep coming to me for repairs."

5. karatone

karatone Regular member

Your best bet would be if you have space in your machine for another drive,add a dedicated DVD -rom,as far as using your recorder for dual purposes, dual meaning twice or two,yes you're working your drive twice as much as needed, save your recorders laser for burning ,not burning out. An added plus to having separates is that you can test your back-ups on two different makes or models to test compatiblity.