1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping with DVD Shrink to get highest quality?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by running22, Jul 10, 2007.

1. running22

running22 Guest

I have to apologize for a few newb questions, but I just recently got into burning DVD's which has thus far been successful, but I wanted to make sure that I'm fine tuning the quality of ripping my DVDs. When I use DVD Shrink, I always take off french and spanish subtitles or whatever else may be there so that the movie quality increases. I also use the custom ratio setting for the added features and scale them all the way back so that the quality for the film increases even more, but even once I do this, the film only gets up usually to somewhere around 56-60%. Are there any other tricks I can use with DVD shrink to up the quality? Also, I read somewhere here on the site that DVD Decryptor is no longer being updated, should I switch to using DVDFab, or is there really no difference? Will Ripit4Me automatically integrate DVDFab, or do they not work together? Sorry, I know these are basic questions, I'm still learning!

2. running22

running22 Guest

Hmmmm, looks like I spoke too soon, I've run into trouble trying to rip a DVD to my comp using DVD Shrink and the error message says:

Faild to read file E:\
    Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Does anyone know what that means?

3. running22

running22 Guest

okay sorry, i should have done some checking first on the cyclic redundancy question, because i found a thread dealing with that in great detail....but I couldn't seem to delete the second post, so it seems to stand as is. If anyone knows about the first post though, that'd be great, thanks!

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Are these commercial/store bought DVD's you are ripping? If so DVD Shrink has a very hard time ripping these newer movies. There is a free ripper called DVDFab Decrypter that works great and is constantly updated to remove the newest encryptions. Also for a higher quality with shrinking your DVD's there is no better than DVD-Rebuilder. Ask anyone on the forums and they will agree it can't be beat. It's a litte more advanced but nothing to hard.

5. NytBurnr

NytBurnr Regular member

I could not agree with you more about DVD Rebuilder, especially if you use CCE as an encoder. It is easy to use. All you have to do is go to the "Guides" Tab on the AD home page, and there are several guides there for this program. One is for free version, another for the "Pro" version, which you must pay for, and another for advanced techniques.

DVDFabDecrypter is great and you can't beat the price. They even have an HD version (free), which will be great for use on the higher quality DVDs. I still use RipIt4Me on older movies.