1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping with DVD XCopy Xpress vs. Nero

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by junko, Jun 23, 2003.

1. junko

junko Member

I've recently started using DVD XCopy Xpress and have made a few observations and subsequently have a couple of questions about the software:

-I have noticed that it burns a disclaimer screen at the beginning of each DVD which is as annoying as an FBI warning at the beginning of a commercial DVD. Is there anyway around having this copied?

-Express takes on an average (on my machine) 1 hr and 15 min to copy a standard DVD to my hard drive. I am using a Pioneer A05. I read in some of the forums that it could have been because my DVD burner and my CD burner were both running off the same IDE cable with the burner set to master. I did recently put them on separate cables running into separate IDE ports and have noticed no increase in speed; it still takes about 1.15min to copy a DVD to the hard drive. Is this just a standard time?

-This is my biggest problem with DVD XCopy Express; when it copies your DVD image to the hard drive, it deletes it after the disc is burned. So what if you¡¦re making two copies? Or you glitch out and have to start over? You have to re rip another hard drive image and lose another hour and fifteen minutes? This makes no sense and if there¡¦s no way around this I can¡¦t see continuing to use this software.

-As a result of the above problem with the temp image being automatically deleted from the hard drive after a burn, I¡¦ve been using the DVD Decrypter-„³DVD2one-„³Nero method. Decrypter is lightening fast, and DVD2one is pretty quick at compressing DVD-9 to DVD-5. And of course Nero is real fast in burning the VOB files. I¡¦ve been using this method as opposed to the DVD X Copy Express because the leave the VOB files on the hard drive so if I¡¦m making two copies, or if it glitches, then I still have on the hard drive. But what I¡¦ve noticed (and maybe it¡¦s just me) is that the compression seems to be a bit better using Xpress than Decrypter„³DVD2one-„³Nero. I don¡¦t know why, and maybe I¡¦m just nit picking picture quality but there seems to be a lot more artifacting and ghosting using DVD2one than Express. But Xpress, aside from the problems I¡¦ve mentioned above, also seems to be less stable when it comes to glitches. For instance, I burned two copies of the same disc using Xpress and they both played fine until the last chapter and then they stated freezing up etc. With the same disc, I used the Decrypter-„³DVD2one-„³Nero method and it worked fine and had no problems in the last chapter. And this has happened on about 3 different DVD¡¦s that I know of so it¡¦s definitely a software issue.

In closing, I would like to use DVD Xcopy Xpress because it seems (although it¡¦s slow) to be the easiest to use DVD-9 to 5 conversion software out there with great compression. But it¡¦s been (for me) buggy a few times where VOB files using Nero wasn¡¦t, it burns the disclaimer page at the beginning which I find annoying, it deletes the image file on your hard drive forcing you to re rip it if you encounter an error or are burning more than 1 copy of the same DVD. If someone (or several people) would chime in here with their 2 cents I¡¦d very much appreciate it.

Thanks,

ja

2. DMW

DMW Regular member

As good as it does your job,Express, from the comments above it sounds like you have a lot of probs with it. I use Smartripper, DVD2ONE and Nero without problems. If you have had good results with these then id stick with them, well DVD Decrypter in your case but the end result is the same. The only thing i can think of on the qaulity difference is that express only takes the film portion, are you doing the same in DVD2ONE, obviously if you are taking all the DVD contents the picture will be slightly less in the quality stakes as it has more to compress, if your taking film only then im not too sure on why the difference.
    Anyway, hope you sort it and get the results you want.
    Hope it helps

Last edited: Jun 26, 2003
  3. junko

junko Member

Thanks for the reply. No, I just use the film portion when I burn using the DVD Decrypter-->DVD2one-->Nero method, so like you said I couldn't understand why (at least to my eye) the compression seemed to be slightly better in DVD X Copy Xpress.

Also, I didn't know you could single out the extra features etc. after ripping it to your hard drive and choose to burn those as well. Is that even possible? And how do you tell the actual size of a DVD you're wanting to record in GB? When I use regular X Copy it's always off. Is there a program or tool that will allow me to put a DVD movie in my drive and see what it is in GB?

Thanks again,

ja

4. DMW

DMW Regular member

Hi, im not sure about checking sizes, the only way i do it is when they are ripped and then when i have encoded with DVD2ONE(just to make sure it has worked)it usually does.
    The latest version of DVD2ONE alows you to select Movie only or entire disc, this takes all extras and menus, i have done this with a few films at satisfactory quality levels. I believe dvd95copy allows you to select extras and remove them or dvdshrink to compress them more than the film portion.
    Hope this helps

5. QUAKEDS

QUAKEDS Guest

HI,,, AMIGO,,and hour and 20 it is too much time??? May be you have to update your pc ,, I am in love with this program,(321 studio rocks) I have been used it for a month and it is really impress how quick makes the back up of a dvd 9, 26 minutes for the iso and 16 for the copy on a blank dvd+ this is base on a 512 ram ,60 hd , hp 200ijdvdr/w rom ,with a xp op.
    good luck bro
    ???

6. LAZY321

LAZY321 Member

IM IN AGREEMENT
    MY PC CAN COMPLETE THE RIP AND BURN PROCESS WITH XPRESS IN ABOUT 30 MIN. just have the xtra GB and a fast processor and defragment your hard drive

and what i would do if you wanted to keep the rip from xpress is after step 1 is complete go into WINDOWS TEMP FILE AND FIND THE IMAGE OR VOB'S

GOOD LUCK

7. Wooly

Wooly Member

is there a way i can rip images from a dvd. is there a program that will let me do that or is this a pipe dream.

8. rparks3

rparks3 Member

It used to take about 45 mins total (~22 or 23 mins to read and ~22 to write)to copy a DVD, now it is taking about 50 mins to read and about 40 mins to write. What could cause the increase in time? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2003
  9. oldhack

oldhack Member

It sounds like you have a very slow machine if it takes 1hr or so.

you can save the ripped copy easy enough.its in a folder called dvdxpress2.5
    after it goes through its ripping/encoding process and when it says INSERT BLANK DISK ...DONT!!! just hit ctrl/alt/del and "end task". It shuts down the program and the folder is still there.
    then go and rename the folder to the name of your movie because when you run dvdxprress again it will overwrite the folder.

as to getting rid of the warning, thats easy also.
    first you need to install ifoedit95 on your machine.
    2nd double click on the "VIDEO_TS.IFO file (in your video_ts folder) ( ifoedit95 will come up)
    DBL click on VMGM_MAT(top of page)
    3rd underneath will be "first play PGC" click on that
    4th scroll the botton window down to "1.Pre Command"
    5th right click and edit command change to (Jump_TT) Jump to Title and the NR to 1
    6th hit the save button and save bup aswell.
    6th your done.

what you did is change the video manager to jump to title 1 and skip the warning.
    it takes all of 1 min to do.
    hope this helps

10. R-X

R-X Member

I too have had problems with the play back with copies using Dvd Xpress. But I fixed it 100 percent by starting rebooting my comuper before copying another movie. Since doing this I never get a glitch in any of my DvD Copies.

11. junko

junko Member

Use Elby CloneDVD. I've burned over 50 discs and not 1 glitch. Use DVD Decrypter to rip to the hard drive, then use Elby Clone DVD. It's the best (and also most stable and user friendly) DVD burning program in the world.

junko

12. Koebrah

Koebrah Member

First, I'd like to thank all that have participated in this posting. It helped make my first DVD burn.

I used DVD XCopy Xpress to back up "Heat."
    Creating the image took approx. 15mins. and the actual burn took another 15mins.

It's absolutely awesome.
    I have taken the above advise and "killed" the program to be able to save it to my hard drive under another folder name.

Now, is it possible to simply burn that directory unto a DVD? Let's say with Nero?

So ... DVD XCopy Xpress created the image, I killed the program, copied the folder under another name into another directory. Double clicking on VTS_01_1.VOB within the VIDEO_TS directory plays the movie without a glitch.
    Is it as simple as burning the VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders unto a DVD w/ Nero?

Please note that I've never used Nero, and therefore your complete/detailed answer would be much appreciated.

TIA,
    Koebrah

13. oldhack

oldhack Member

easy to do with nero but i like "copy to dvd" it uses the pattin coufin system to copy so they always come out top quality.
    just d/l it from here (V 2.28 left side of screen)
    http://www.vso-software.fr/

install and enter the code below to register.

just choose "video dvd" and go find the "VIDEO_TS" folder and click on the ifo file and youre off and running.

This d/l is a demo so youll need the code
    R2WG-4VE1-67D6-6LFJ

also are you getting rid of the warning sign before you burn?

14. Koebrah

Koebrah Member

You lost me on the whole IFO thing.
    Are you saying to point copyToDVD to JUST the IFO file and it knows to do the rest?

Also, is that how it works with Nero?

Thanks for the reg key, btw.

15. oldhack

oldhack Member

if you have copy to dvd installed then you can see. YES just point it to the ifo file and it will pick up the rest. its that easy. the ifo file is the "information file" and stores all the chapters/titles etc.

as for nero, choose dvd video from the wizard and then you have to drag all the files into the VIDEO_TS_ dir created in nero for that purpose. If you have trouble using the wizard, then you dont need nero.(grin)

16. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

If you are using DVD X Copy to copy your movies, once the program has finished ripping it to your HDD, simply find the folder that it was ripped to and either copy the files to a separate HDD or when you open Nero and select DVD-Video, simply find the folder and "choose the files you want, "right-click" and then select copy to compilation". I've done this numerous times with no faults. Another option that I have been playing with is CloneDVD v1.1.7.1 and used in conjunction with AnyDVD (www.slysoft.com) and it will make a perfect back-up, no FBI warnings. Just my 2-cents.

Thx

17. edwood

edwood Member

Where can you find the file ifoedit95? I have done a google search for the file and have not located it.

Thanks for your help.
    ew

18. edwood

edwood Member

Where can you find the file ifoedit95? I have done a google search for the file and have not located it.

Thanks for your help.
    ew

19. edwood

edwood Member

Where can you find the file [bold]ifoedit95?[/bold] I have done a google search for the file and have not located it.

Thanks for your help.
    ew

20. edwood

edwood Member

Where can you find the file [bold]ifoedit95?[/bold] I have done a google search for the file and have not located it.

Thanks for your help.
    ew