1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Risk in Bricking the DS??

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by thundor, Mar 4, 2007.

1. thundor

thundor Member

Hi everyone, I'm new here, and I've heard about there being viruses for the DS, and by getting an R4 (the device I'm planning on buying) that I could be vulnerable to them. I really don't want to ruin my lite. So before I decide to buy one I just wanted to know what your experiences were, and if viruses are a risk. Also, if you have any suggestions on a good place to buy one I'd appreciate that too! I've heard that gameyeeeah.com is good.

Thanks!

2. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

Well, I don't know about the R4, and I'm still learning, but I know that the M3 protects against software that tries to overwrite firmware and brick your DS. Also about the site, I bought my stuff from www.modchipstore.com.

3. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Yes there is a virus, but I have been in the DS scene for at least a year now and I have never downloaded anything with it. if you are really worried there is a program you can download which checks for the virus, also most anti-virus programs can apparently detect it, also you can use Moonshell to launch most of your homebrew (Moonshell has a built in check for anything that modifies your flash - eg a virus)

And the ultimate protection would be to install FlashMe, as it writes a recovery mode to a normally non-writeable section of the flash memory, which no virus can destroy.

4. thundor

thundor Member

Thanks for your replies. Does anyone happen to know the name of the program that checks for the virus?

5. Ph1l0

Ph1l0 Member

Hmm got a link to this FlashMe Mr.Hanky and is it compatible with an R4?

6. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

I think it's called DSLazy, it has a "crashme" scanner, this is what checks for the virus.
    Here are links to FlashMe guides:
    Original DS
    DS Lite
    I assume the guides have links to download FlashMe.
    If you are not comfortable doing anything shown in the FlashMe guides, don't do it. I won't take responsibility if you manage to screw it up

I do not know if it can be run from the R4DS so I would recommend you do some research into it first.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007