1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ritek 2x RW good, Ritek 4x & 8x white bad?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by simojo, Jan 29, 2005.

1. simojo

simojo Member

I dont know if this is the same issue as the potentially bad batch Ritek posts, but here goes. Let me know what you think.

My story: In the last 2 months or so, I seem to have burn failures at a high rate (like 50 to 70%).
    My setup: Ritek white inkjet printable, both 4x and 8x,-R, as well as some Ritek gray -RW at 2x. The 2x have always worked, the 4x and 8x have failed pretty consistently recently. All bought from Meritline. Two separate computers, both Intel mobo, 2.4 GHz, Win XP, Spybot S&D, Norton AV, one with old Cendyne 105, another with new Sony DRU-710A. Nero 6. Over the past two years, no issues with DVD Shrink 3.1, for rip and shrink. Always used Meritline Ritek G04's. Again no issues until recently. Bought the new Sony DRU-710A to see if it fixed, but it didnt.

In some posts, folks are saying things like 1) rip with DVD Decrypter, shrink with DVD shrink, then burn separately with Nero 6, or 2) disable something resident like Norton or broadband. Hasnt been a problem in the past, but now something is definitely different.

I havent done any changes major software or hardware wise, though I did have lightning strike a few months ago which cooked a IEEE 1394 board on one computer. The easiest thing to point to is bad quality on Ritek -R's, but is there anything else I'm missing? Are people seeing issues with DVDShrink? I'm pretty good about keeping an eye on my task list, and keeping garbage off my hard drives. Any ideas would be appreciated--this is starting to get both frustrating and expensive.

2. yellows

yellows Member

50 to 70 % is really high. What do you consider a failure though? Are 50-70% of your disc failing during the burning process? If so, thats really bad. I have tried burning all kinds of media from Taiyo Yuden, Ritek, Maxell, BenQ and a few super cheap no name media. I have only had maybe 3 -5 disc fail during the burning process out of about 1000 disc. I consider media bad when it pixelates while watching the disc or if you cannot read back from the disc.

I think there maybe a problem with your computer or the burn process because a 50 - 70 % failure rate is too high. If its DVD movies you are burning and you consider it a failure if hte disc pixilates, maybe its the DVD player you are using. Some DVD players areveyr fussy about burnt disc.